Gas Tank Relocation?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 64ChevyPickup, Apr 22, 2009.

1. 64ChevyPickup

64ChevyPickup Member

I have a 64 c10 and I am wanting to relocate the gas tank to under the bed, and have seen the kits in classic parts, and car and truck shop for around 190 with sending unit, straps and etc. But to not have to pay for shipping and an oversize charge, I called my local classic muscle chevrolet dealer here in NC and they just have one for a 69-72, and I was wondering if this will work for mine or does anybody have other ideas that will work. I plan on lowering the truck so dont want anything to low. All ideas will be appreciated.

2. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

3. 66Squirt

66Squirt Member

Tank nightmare

I have been dealng with this for over a month! I keep hearing about guys going to the blazer tank. The one thing I can tell you is DO NOT get the polyurathane one in the catalogs with the filler neck sticking out at a 45ยบ angle. I can't see how the aluminum one would be better either. What a giant pain in the butt! Try and get one sticking out of the top (straight up) or one directly out the side. If it's to late and you got that one a Nissan filler neck out of a old hard body is what I had to end up using. That and splice a couple hoses together to make it all work. I got my tank from Tuckers, LMC and Classic shows a picture looking exactly like what you do not want. I would definately ask more questions about the Blazer tank.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  4. 65Custom

65Custom Member

Gas Tank

I bought my tank from LMC it is and steel holds about 19 to 21 gallons I have fitted it and had to do very little fabrication to get it setup.

As for the filler I am planning a hidden filler where my bed floor will pop up and the filler cap will be there under the floor off to the Driver side I'm not a big fan of the fillers in the floor even though they look nice.

I just don't want spilled fuel on my nice finished wood floor, I was also planning to have the filler with a hose to drain any spillage out to the ground in case that happens so the filler support will be sorta of a catch and drain in the even of spillage

5. 64ChevyPickup

64ChevyPickup Member

thanks for the advice, I think I'm gonna get one of the kits from LMC or Truckshop, stopped by my local classic restoration and the one they sell for the 67-72 which the dimensions are the same so I figured it would work, but theres only comes with the tank no straps or anything and it was 150 so I think I'll just get the one like you did ( the kit)

6. 65Custom

65Custom Member

Gas Tank

Here is a pic the frame is upside down and the tank straps actually go front to rear, Sorry that I don't have a better picture with more detail or finished pics

Attached Files:

7. verdell

verdell Member

For what its worth, both my brothers installed the blazer tanks in their '65 and '71 models with no major issues..however i decided on a factory 22 gallon '76 chevy van fuel tank in my '60...my rear frame is a little different and i didn't care for how low the blazer tank hung under the truck from the the rear view... mine is lowered about 5'" in the rear and i'm probably going with air springs. the van tank fits better and can barely be seen because it's not as deep as the blazer tank but with the same capacity...i'm real pleased with it..just my two cents!:D

8. HookedUpGTP

HookedUpGTP Member

verdell, how is your tank fill neck set up? I have a '61 and I'm looking to change out my under bed tank when I change out the wood the next time. I believe the '60 and '61 frame is the same frame.

9. Steven10

Steven10 Member

Tank Filler

Dudes,

I do not want to put filler in my $1000, 30 hour install, week long varnished, white oak bed or fresh paint. Has anyone done a conversion that allows filling in some other place, short of punching hole in side of truck or in wood bed? What about inside fenders or licence plate? Thoughts?

10. HookedUpGTP

HookedUpGTP Member

That's why I asked about the fill neck set-up. When I replace the wood, I don't want a through the would fill either. I saw one truck (it may have been on Stovebolt.com), where the rear seal had a half circle cut out of it to accomodate the fill neck coming out just above the rear bumper. I would think that it'd be pretty easy to cut and hinge the license plate holder so that the plate could fold down as it used to do on a lot of cars.

11. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

I saw one behind the rear lisence plate like the old buick, cutlass, cadillac's used to have but I believe it was a custom roll pan, not a bumper. (also saw a fella using a 60-66 front bumper on the rear (stepside truck) it looked WAY better than the bulky factory rear bumper) I also don't want mine coming through the bed floor or the rear fender so please post pictures when you figure something out....

12. 65Custom

65Custom Member

Filler Neck

I agree I don't want a hole in my nicely done floor

I saw one where the dude had the center board in the floor on hinges and then had the filler cap on the tank it was nicely hidden and no holes in the floor, the company that makes the kit is very expensive so I was going to fab something myself.

I was planning to have mine off to the drivers side behind the rear wheel where the board is short and put a filler cap off some newer car or truck but the door will be the wood board, the whole board will lift up to the right or left to expose the filler neck, nice and hidden

13. verdell

verdell Member

Currently, I'm simply filling thru my unfinished floor towards the driver's rear of the bed but plan to graft a "factory look" door fill from newer model car ( like my nissan maxima) into the rear of inner fender. I'm hoping to use an actuator or cable to unlock the fill door from inside the cab or some other place...actually saw the license plate fill door on a '64 but it won't work with my tank...just wanna try something different but don't want to fill from the bed floor or cut up those sexy bedside panels on my Apache!! :D

14. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

FYI: The filler neck behind the lincense plate trick will not work very well..
    The filler opening will be too low to fill the tank on our trucks. Also, as anyone who owned one of those cars so fitted with that filler neck will attest, even if you could get it to somehow work they are a royal pain in the keester to fill, requiring you to crouch down and keep your finger on the trigger because they shut off with annoying frequency !

The cleanest setup I've seen is the trick floorboard that flips up to expose the filler in the top of the tank. On fleetsides I've considered hiding the filler behing the taillight housing, like a 57 BelAir, but have not looked into the feasability of it from an engineering standpoint.

I did see one setup on a fleetside that used the area in the right rear steakbed hole, ( that were filled in ) , but it looked like a LOT of fabrication. It used one of those neat flip-up street rod gas doors seen on some rods...

dv

15. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

leave it ol skool like me, leave it behind the seat and smoke while driving with the gas fumes filling the cab!! you only live once!! :eek: i personall think the origanal gas filler sticking out of the side of the cab looks sick. plus it gives you a place to hang your shop rag.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  16. dado

dado Member

89 S-10 tank

Has any one tried hanging S10 tank inside the rails it could possibly be filled via the wheel well :Just a thought .:rolleyes:

17. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

Never seen an S10 tank used however i saw a 66 4x4 (custom build) that used the stock filler neck with a hose through the back of the cab (and front box side) to a fuel cell that was mounted inside one of those "in bed" tool boxes... I suppose 66 CUSTOM could use this method and run the hose to the under bed tank!

I still don't know what to do...

18. johan

johan Member

building a gastank

am thinking to build me own tank,out of stainless .

19. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

you bet!! i would cut a 3inch or so hole in the lower bottom of the cab, slide a "L" pipe throu so it sticks both inside and out of the cab, then weld it in. run a hose from the original filler tube to the pipe. then run another hose from the pipe to the gas tank, i would put a saddle tank in under the front of the bed to minimize the hose length, plus that would enable you to keep the filler hose higher then the tank. just keep the exhaust running all the way out the back between the frame. I would try using a tank out of a nissan titan, youd have to make up your own brakets but i know they would fit, ive dropped enough of them for a fuel pump sender recall. you could also use the nissan straps.

20. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

I like it...

66CUSTOM, have you measured the titan "saddle" tank to see if it will fit outside the frame rails and where the filler neck on the tank will end up in comparison with the "L" through the cab?? I was thinking a 73-87 GM saddle tank but haven't had a chance to measure one yet?

making the brackets is the easy part as long as the tanks fit safely!

I love it when a plan comes together...:cool: