Yes, another headliner question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Fahrbach 1951 3600, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Fahrbach 1951 3600

Fahrbach 1951 3600 Member

I'm soon to attempt the installation of this vendor's one-piece ABS headliner. It does not come with pre-marked holes for anything. I have read quite a number of threads on the headliner topic, but still have these questions: 1) any good suggestions for locating and creating the holes for the sun visors, and 2) does the front part of the headliner require screw holes, or does it just "pinch" under the windshield trim?

2. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

The windshield trim holds it on, but you'll need openings at the edge of the headliner for the trim screws to go through. Making a hole for the sunvisor is tricky. I would put some reference marks and use them to give you a idea of where the large hole is. I would then get a small drill bit and try to drill more or less in the center (you need to picture it in your mind) If you hit the right spot (not metal) then drill a hole big enough to get a small saw blade in there, like a couping saw blade. Then cut outwards till you metal. Continue until it looks like a pie that's been sliced into pieces. Cut all the pieces off , install the sunvisor and then mark the 3 mountings holes and drill. Make sure that you use a drill bit that's smaller then the mounting holes on the visor bracket. Anyways, that's how I would do it.

3. Zig

Zig Member

Just curious as to how your install is going? I will never EVER install crappy cardboard in mine. I will either spring for one like you did, or make my own. If yours went in okay, I'll probably do what you did.
    Progress?
    Thanks!

4. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

I just finished installing the headliner,bows, windlace and windshield mouldings and the cardboard headliner went in easy. The first thing I did was let the headliner pieces sit out (they are rolled up when new.) using some small red bricks so it flatens out. But I leave the ends curled up. Because of that, I didn't have to use that ammonia/water mixture to soften the cardboard (makes it bend easy, but too much will ruin the board) I started with the front board and installed the center bow, with some glue so the board doesn't slip out during installation. The next day, I lined up the front board and snapped the bow in place. Once that was done, I installed the rear board and rear bow. and I was done with that. All I have to do now, is buy the sunvisors and brackets and then install them. I am happy with the result and it was easy. A one man job.