Engine ID

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by DieselCash, Aug 22, 2016.

1. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

I picked up a 1949 Chevrolet 3600 flat bed from a guy up the road from my house. I am attempting to figure out which motor it has in it. I took photos of the codes on the right side. But they just don't match up to what I am finding online. Thanks for any help provided!
    IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0996.JPG

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The F173 is
    F June
    17 17th
    3 Some year that ends in 3 like 1953

3. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

The motor is not the original that came with the truck. How can I identify which motor it is? It is missing the starter, generator, water pump, and thermostat housing.

Thanks for the reply Bill.

4. Deve

Deve Member

Check for a number under and to the right of the distributor. Starts with 38 or 37 and is 7 digits. This number is the engines casting number and we can tell a lot from that. Then go look at the FLAT on the Distributor base. Lots of good numbers there we can tell even more. You can decipher this yourself using our Casting Number Database.. here:

GM Casting Numbers

Also, check if your engine has hydraulic or solid lifters. This is important so you know how to adjust the lifters for best performance. Sometimes the engine numbers can reveal that information too.

5. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

Thank you Deve, I will look and post pictures of what I find.

6. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

The number on the flat on the distributor. Looks like LAA756626
    IMG_1001.JPG
    Here is the passenger side of the motor, if it helps. It is jammed inside my shop, not much room to move around it at the moment.
    IMG_1002.JPG
    Thanks for any help provided.

7. Deve

Deve Member

The magic number is the one you didnt provide. Its hard to see and hard to get to, but essential. Just under the Dizzy and just to the right. Starts with 38 or 37.

8. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

I was short on time yesterday to get that magic number. I will try to get out there in the next few days.
    Thanks,

9. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

I found this data plate instead of the numbers you were talking about.
    IMG_1010.JPG
    Were is the numbers in correlation to this plate?
    This plate was below and to the right of the distributor and to the left of the fuel pump location.

10. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

I pulled off the valve cover and found these numbers.
    IMG_1012.JPG
    Here is what the the rest of it looks like.
    IMG_1013.JPG
    Any other locations too pull numbers from?
    Just attempting to figure out what motor I have.

11. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

It really bothers me that the code is not there. I went back out and played around some more to ensure I was not missing it. here is a picture that backs what I think. It is covered up.
    IMG_1017.JPG

12. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

I looked over the article posted above and went to look for the other number on the head. I found it.
    It says 3701887.
    IMG_1020.JPG
    I did not like the other plate numbers I posted earlier. Here is an easier to read picture.
    IMG_1019.JPG
    Looks like I have a 235 motor.

13. Deve

Deve Member

There is one number that matters to get you started down this road, then there is all the ancillary numbers that get things more pinpointed. The one you need is under the distributor and to the right. It starts with a 37 or 38 and is a 7 digit number. It is VERY hard to see since things are in the way, but there is no getting around its importance. It looks to be a 216 and it could be the original engine. Without the number, its just speculation. An original 216 may only have 6 digits. I find it very hard to see all of the numbers by looking down (under the hood) so if all else fails, slide under the engine and look from there with a good flashlight. This is worth the trouble because you should know those numbers to obtain the parts you may need later. Some people use small mirrors to check the number after doing major cleaning with a wire brush first.

14. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

Deve,
    Isn't this picture the same location.
    View attachment 22069
    as this location in the link you provided me above?
    CastingNumbers002lg.jpg

15. Deve

Deve Member

The number has to be there. It may not be in exactly the same place because that was a newer style 235. Keep looking because it's the key to the actual year/make of the engine. My guess is it is the original 216 that came with the 1949. But without that number, not sure. The Head number means the HEAD only is a 1953 235 (the last babbit bearing, low pressure engine), but Heads are interchangeable. This would mean in all likelihood, the engine is a babbit motor, meaning its a lower pressure older style engine. Nothing wrong with that, but its a good idea to pin down exactly what you have. That number is the only way.

16. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

Just to help me think I ain't missing these numbers I went out and removed the distributor and crank case vent. I still see no numbers.
    IMG_1021.JPG
    Would it be below the ridge, under the area I cleaned up?

17. Deve

Deve Member

Maybe its behind the plate the rebuilder put there, but I would not remove it. Could be a nice conversation piece when you get it rebuilt. With the head identified, you probably know everything you really need to know. Its either a 216 or 235 Pre-1954. That means it's the old style motor. What are your plans for the truck?

18. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

Keep it as original as I can. I want to strip it down and clean everything up. Then put it all back together.

I got it too use in my towns parades. Have something to tinker with.

19. Deve

Deve Member

Actually, in going through your pictures, I see an F 17 3 on the block. Since the Head is a 1953, the block is also most likely a 1953. The Head is a 235 Head, so I would agree its a 1953 235 without any other evidence. Someday, when you really get into the engine, you will find the number, but not sure there is a need to look further.

20. DieselCash

DieselCash Member

Thanks! I plan on removing the engine and pulling the oil pan. maybe there will be a better number under there.
    I really needed all the info to get a water pump, starter, generator/alternator, gasket kit, and carburetor rebuild kit.
    Along with many other parts.
    Again, thanks for all your help. Hope you have a great week.