Is there a source for a bench seat for 1947-54?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ssexton1, Dec 21, 2010.

1. coralhead

coralhead Member

Getting back to the question, Joe "AKA Mother Trucker" on this site may be able to fix you up. He is located in AZ.

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Threads wonder.

3. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

out of a standard cab chevy truck

4. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

i too have one and also in AZ but im sure joe mother trucker has a stock pile. ive seen his stash

5. Zig

Zig Member

Then there is this option...

Seats from a 2000 Chevy pickup. Seat belts are built in. Now I'm thinking hmmm... More leg room also. Being 6'3", this sounds nice.

Attached Files:

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Zig: Did you actually measure the difference in leg room? Like from a set point on the dash to the middle of the seat back where a body woulod lean against it? And again from the seating surface up to the top of the cab?

7. Zig

Zig Member

Just visual~

I could tell that you'd set a little lower (by about 2"?) and back by about the same. My stock bench seat is really thick across the back shoving me way forward. I'd love to get some extra space especially for getting my foot on top of the pedals. What with the shifter coming out of the floor, steering wheel, and pedal placement, I feel like a grasshopper.
    The owner of this truck replaced the floor with flat steel and was able to put the reinforcing metal strips under the cab that he was able to bolt the seat rails to giving the option to move the seat forward or all the way back. On our trucks, the floor pan sinks to the middle under the seat, so I'm thinking you'd have to cut that out and replace it with flat steel as well?
    I spent too much time talking with him, and not enough time looking. No way was I going to be able to sit in that!

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What GOOD Threads Do !

They wander too Charles ~ just like me , I'm in Modesto , Ca. to - day in my '69 C/10 carrying my new to me 1977 Chevy 292 engine home :) .

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Congrats Nate with your 292 engine.

Are you going to install the bigger engine in one of Your trucks or do you have other plans with it ?

Martinius.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

1977 292 i6

It's going into my '69 C/10 , will power the TH350-C tranny .

I'm considering overhauling the old 250 in it now as there appears to be some market for good running I6's these dayze .

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Seat Link

Maybe try right clicking the link then select ' open in new tab ' ? that worked for me but there is NO vintage seats anywhere on this site , I spent too much time searching then tried the search box and got this reply :

Your search for 'vintage truck seats' has returned no results

For what it's worth , this place appears to have anything you'll ever need for newer rigs or getting good used stuff for Hot Rod projects ! .

Wow , I'm impressed with this place .

13. Zig

Zig Member

Here you go, Karen. This is the thread about seats for our trucks~

14. Rattail138

Rattail138 Member

Hi I just saw your post about your bench that you might possibly sell. If the other guy isn't interested in it, i definitely am. I too am in Texas & looking for a bench for a 1954 panel that I recently purchased. Any help would be appreciated thanks

15. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

That's one of the 3 things that makes me wonder "what hell is up with that crap!" The other 2 things are the LS swaps and the S10 swaps. You'll find a seat. I see them pop up all the time because some clown wants to install seats from a Toyota.

16. Deve

Deve Member

I don't Deve-iate from the usual Bench Seat arrangement in these stock trucks. I would lose weight first, BUT the key issue that often gets forgotten in these conversations is..

Was it just coincidence that the metal Bench Seat Pedestal adds probably 50% or more rigidity to the Cabs floor giving the Cab the stability it needs on that particular plane? I am just throwing that out there. I do
    not know one way or the other. It's just that many guys just start hacking things up without really looking into the architecture. Kind of the same concept as removing a wall in your house. Is it a structural wall? If
    so, what else can we do to shore it up if we DO remove it. I wonder on the bench seat pedestal removal if you couldn't augment the area with angle iron or something to compensate? The floor structure is a very key part of the total structure. [remember, just putting that out there, no opinion one way or the other since I have not done any research.]

17. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Well...OK...I guess...
    Amen, Deve. The seat pedestal is absolutely part of the cab structure. The portion that spans the cab, from rear door pillar to pillar is NECESSARY to the rear cab support. The rear shackle style cab mounts, bolt directly to that cross support.
    Now, having said that, a guy CAN remove the seat pedestal, IF, he properly engineers a replacement support structure. A cab can be modified with additional support underneath, and out of sight.
    With a little fab skill, and planning, custom seats can be installed to the original pedestal. Even those low mount seats all the street rodders like these days. You know, the ones where you look like a little kid, peering out the side window, just above the bottom of the window.

Steve.