Panel Truck Flush Head Bolt Source

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Oct 24, 2016.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Anyone have a source for the 10 or 12 flush head bolts that go across the rear of the floor board bracket? I bought a polished stainless bolt kit to do the floor but it only has carriage bolts. I could also use a picture of what the bracket looks like as it's been a long time since I took this apart and I need to locate the bracket thing!!!

Thanks
    craig

2. Deve

Deve Member

McMaster-Carr.com has all the stainless steel hardware you need. What I like is you can get allen head screws for the truck that look so close to clutch head you have to look hard to see the difference. And the bonus with stainless steel is, it looks closer to the original cadmium plating than Zinc.

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Just remember that Stainless Steel hardware is S O F T... nowhere as strong as plain 'steel' hardware. I have taken the admittedly tedious path of soaking new (steel, grade 5) hardware in Metal Prep to remove any coatings or oil, then rinse, dry, and paint with thinned Rustoleum black. But admittedly, this achieves a completely different look than nice shiny Stainless hardware!

4. Deve

Deve Member

I wouldn't use stainless for grade 8 applications, but they make a few different alloys of stainless that is harder than others. Haven't researched the actual differences. So for sure do your research before using it. There is 8-18 and 304 which are common but then there is high strength A286 which may be as hard as grade 5. Pays to do research which I haven't gotten around to yet! All I know is a steel badly rusted bolt has no strength at all so I do not want my hardware to ever get in that condition, thus stainless. All good points.

5. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hi guys, good information on the bolts but I searched McMaster Carr and Grainger and Fastenal and I can't find a flush head stainless bolt. If you have a part number I'd be grateful. I found plow bolts that look like what I need but they aren't available in stainless. OH, I just thought of another source that I haven't checked. I'll let you know what I find!

john1 likes this.
  6. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

UPDATE - I found something called an elevator bolt on McMaster Carr. P/N 92361A454 This one is 1/4-20x 1 1/2 so I have to verify the size I need but at least its a flush head stainless. I can polish my self I guess.

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

8. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hi BIll, I think they will work if I can find the right head size to match the carriage bolts and the right lengths. They aren't any softer than a regular stainless bolt so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the drawing. I saved it for reference.

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

I `ll think these bolt will work if the size is right ? If you find some that are polished or chromed in 8.8. quality they will go nicely together with the floor boards. Elegant made bolts by the way :) Martinius.