Rear end clunk!

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Steven Hinkle, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Steven Hinkle

Steven Hinkle Member

Whenever I drive my '66 S10 at cruising speed (55 or better) then stop an make a left turn, I will get a "clunking" sound coming from the left rear end. It has actually made the same clunk when I have turned right but not often. The significance of the clunk is determined by how quick I try to pull out, how warm it is or if I am hauling a heavy load. Strange thing is it does not happen when I am only driving around town. I have had the truck since '78 and it was doing it then ( I know - very timely!). I was thinking it may be something in the differential, i.e., sheared spline or something but I replaced both rear wheel bearings a few years ago and inspected the axels - didn't see any problems. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and if you may knon what it is and how you resolved it. Thanks for your assistance.

2. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Sounds to me like you may have some broken spider gears. I'd be pulling that pumpkin cover soon. You find out really fast if you do.

3. Steven Hinkle

Steven Hinkle Member

Just a quick update......Finally bit the bullet and took my truck to Randy's Ring and Pinion in Everett, WA for them to check it out. After the tech popped the cover he found there was not one spring in the clutch pack in the carrier. I've had the truck since 78 and it was clunking then so you do the math. Bottom line, they replaced the ring and pinion, carrier & clutch pack and one new universal joint - only thing that was good was the axels? Runs like a top now and was the best $1700 I've spent. Randy's was one of the most professional organizations I've had the pleasure to work with. They are world class and used by all of the professional racers nationally. If you need rear end service and live in this area (Pacific Northwest), I highly recommend Randy's Ring and Pinion. They do all service work in one day - you will need to make an appointment. Here is their website: RANDYS Worldwide | Differentials, Rear End Gears, Axles, Lockers