Barret Jackson

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Depoebay, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

anyone watching.. 53 3100 mild restomod. went for 45k yesterday

2. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

Did it come with a chest full of Gold:rolleyes:

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

My guess is if you were to drop off an AD that needs everything a typical AD needs at your friendly, local, restoration shop, you'd probably get a bill for $45K to go along with the shiny new keys to your shiny new truck.

It all adds up. Back when I first bought my truck, I got prices to rebuild the 216, top to bottom. A Babbitt motor takes a bit more skill to rebuild than a typical "inserted bearing" motor, but I was shocked to see estimates near $4,000.

4. e015475

e015475 Member

The shop that's doing the metal work on my truck is part of a loose cooperative of a classic car/hotrod dealer, a Camaro restoration shop and a detailer - all in the same WW2 era warehouse building in the Phoenix area. (till yesterday all the available inside parking was taken by cars going to the auction yesterday)

I went to go work on my truck in the metal shop yesterday after work and a bunch of the crew were watching the BJ auction on a live feed on the computer, including the owner of the classic car dealership.

His general reaction was that the prices were really low this year at the auction. The consensus of the 'pros' there was that a good 'restomod' on a Camaro or Chevelle at a shop would start at $50K, and that many of them at the auction sold for significantly less than the cost to build them.

When a unremarkable early Ford Bronco sold for what seemed to be a very high amount (about $70K I thought), the used classic dealer said jokingly that he'd been buying the wrong inventory and instead should be looking for trucks!

I don't know how true any of this is, but it was interesting to hear.

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

If there was truly "money to be made" selling restored vehicles, the restoration shops would only work on their own vehicles- to sell. Touch labor is so expensive nowadays, anything past a buff and detail, and you couldn't make your money back.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  6. e015475

e015475 Member

The Camaro restoration guy at the shop here has five or six Camaros in the process of being restored. When I asked if he planned on selling any, he said they were all commissioned by customers and none were done on speculation for sale. Says he can't make much money buying, restoring and selling. I think he makes money charging time and material for restorations comissioned by customers.

I asked the guys who'd been to the auction - How many cars do you think were built just to sell at auction. Their guess was 30-50% might be.

With low auction prices, I'd think an auction buyer would have to be pretty careful about buying schlock work on a car that's a pig with lipstick.

Probably could have bought a nice truck at auction and I'll probably be upside down with my truck when I'm done, but at least I'll have what I want. If I make any bad choices, I'm the one that made them and there won't be anyone to blame but myself. Besides, the probability of having that kind of scratch all in one place at one time is pretty near zero, but I can always manage to bleed to death on a project over a year or two

Rambling. Gotta go

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

You sure hit the nail on the head, with that comment!
    I've seen vehicles at Mecum that were not what they first appeared.

Lots of people think a price like the one mentioned above are wildly high. I generally think everything these days is too high. I say things now, that I remember my Grandad saying years ago.

The truth is, I will likely have at least 20K, in my truck, when finished. And, that is with me doing ALL the labor. Maybe more...
    Now, you add in labor, if you have to hire everything done... That self employed guy running his shop and supporting his family, buying his own health ins., paying for everything to operate his shop... most people have NO idea.

I've seen AD trucks go a little higher, at Mecum. Throw in a Morrison frame, and brand new LS3, and you might see six figures.

I would really like to hear Coilover, weigh in on this.

Steve.

8. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

your kidding me 50 chevy ls3 ? ... Did you just sell your truck tonight? 1950 resto mod as you described went across the block today at $187K. YES 187k.

9. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

I was at the local watering hole at the time, and I thought I had too much to drink. I couldn't believe what that truck sold for. I have a decent 51, any offers for $100,00.00 FIRM??:p:D

10. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

I was planning on putting my 55 first series up for sale this spring. I am now reconsidering the asking price. Was hoping to get $25k for her. Lol

11. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

We spent the day yesterday at the B.J. auction & got a close up look at all the vehicles that will be auctioned off.

When it comes to A.D. trucks .... there were a few nice unique original trucks & a few nice customized trucks
    and there were a multitude of seemingly nice trucks {under the fancy enhanced lighting }...

But a close up inspection revealed many trucks are devoid of any original accessories, that have a quick coat of paint & were slapped together from bumper to bumper with cheapo Chinese reproduction parts.....

I like to call 'em..... " Phony Bolony BJ Trucks " [​IMG]

12. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

This could become another thread..andr not trying to start any arguments.

So you are doing an original restoration. Yes see if you can find an original part.

You are doing a resto mod you need an inner Fender. Lots of companies making reproduction parts some excellent fit some are complete junk. (I could write a a novel on this) .

You hit the swap meets looking gas time and fuel. Then Craigslist.. drive again

"yeah it's over there " You wander through the pucker brush to find a rusted vehicle over grown with weeds. Then you spend the next 8 hours smelling penetrating oil, trying not to break any bolts off.

Hmm repop might not be so bad.

just my experiences

Ben@CPOA/TECH likes this.
  13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I have a cousin that sold his two project built Gen. one Camaros to a muscle car dealer, and lost money.
    The dealer sold them for a healthy profit. He sold them to Europeans, packed them in shipping containers, and sent them overseas.

Europeans, and middle easterners, seem to be buying many U.S., musclecars, and small airplanes. An indication of what's been going on in the world.

Steve.

14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I'd be surprised if you could get a turn key, just finished with your choices, restomodded AD for under $60K. It's truly amazing how much all the little pieces parts cost.

I never got a single nibble of interest from anybody here in the states when I sold my '65 C10... A guy in New Zealand bought it, sight unseen. Well, other than reviewing the build thread here.

John

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  15. 52wasp

52wasp Member

John,
    It seems to me your Kiwi customer stumbled upon a brilliant idea, not unlike reviewing the entire diary of a perspective date! You laid out your build thread (as we are all doing here, some quicker than others) for all to see. She wasn't a "bondo and baling wire" project, if she was, NONE of that would have been in a build thread. Arguably, the single BEST "all records available" of ANY vehicle offered for sale.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  16. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

As what Lakeroadster stated $60k and done right yes. Little stuff will drive you nuts on a resto mod. Where I live I use all stainless fasteners, except where grade 8 hardware is needed. Even figured out how to polish the stainless

17. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

Figure out how to polish the Stainless:confused::confused: What's to figure out?? You just get some compound and a buffer wheel and go to town:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Yes you can buy bolts that are polished, and just need buffing but they are pricey.
    I get mine from a hardware store. They have lettering on the heads and are dull, but 35 cents each versus 2 bucks. Angle grinder with a scotch Brite roll lock removes the lettering. Then on to polish.

19. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

I bought a few Stainless Bolts at Home Depot, but I didn't remove the lettering. I can live with that but it's a easy process and like you said, you save money.

20. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

here's a pic

Attached Files: