Photo update & question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 1951 chevy blue, Feb 18, 2017.

1. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

I'm making pretty good progress since restarting this fall and have a new question. I recall seeing a step side truck that had the fuel fill on the outside of the bed and a cover on the inside that went down to the bed floor. If you can recall what truck that was in I need find the inside cover. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Nice fab work. There was an episode of Bitchin Rides where they used one of the filled in stake pockets to put in a pop up screw in cap. What is going on on your last picture? looks like saddle tanks ?

3. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Thanks Depoebay. The saddle tanks should hold 13 gallons +- for the long trips. I would like the fillers to come through the side of the bed side and go straight down into the tank. I remember seeing trucks with this configuration. There was a formed cover inside the bed to protect the fill pipe. That cover is what I am looking for.

4. Zig

Zig Member

That's one heck of a solution to make the headers work!
    Congratulations on the progress!

5. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Thanks Zig. It was the only solution I could come up with having already paid for the headers.

6. coilover

coilover Member

We pretty much use one approach on step side fillers anymore. Use a 22g Blazer tank mounted in the spare tire area and a motorcycle, or pop up, filler bung in the rear fender. There is plenty or room under the fender and since the bed bottom is actually about 6" below the bed floor there is more than enough room to run a filler tube under the bed floor. If one wants to paint the pop up cap body color it's nearly invisible. Gives rapid fill with no kick backs if vent hose is used.

pop up cap 001.jpg pop up cap 003.jpg pop up cap 002.jpg 016.JPG

7. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Thanks Coilover.
    I have seen your work before and am very impressed. If I hadn't used the IRS that Blazer set up would be my choice. I know what I need I just can't remember where to find it. If all else fails I'll have to make my own.

8. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Thanks Coilover,
    I have seen a lot of your work and I am very impressed with your knowledge and skills. I have seen your Blazer set up on your previous posts and would be happy to use it if not for the IRS. I can make what I need but just thought maybe someone would remember the setup I am describing. That way it would be kind of a short cut to where I want to be. I am also reserving the limited space behind the IRS for a donut spare tire.

9. coilover

coilover Member

My bad, didn't remember the IRS. On a 52 Suburban we did with the Lincoln/T-bird/Cougar IRS we used the factory under bed tank that had to be notched to clear a crossmember and ended up a 12g capacity tank. We then made a mirror image tank for the other side and made it a 10g tank. The gauge is in the right side tank and a simple transfer pump is used when the gauge shows near empty. A switch is flipped and the left tank is emptied into the right side tank with the gauge. This gives a 22g capacity without the worry of the reserve tank overflowing the main tank. Maybe can find some pics. Hard to believe but exhaust was not a huge problem.

10. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Thank's again Evan,
    You have started me thinking about a single pop up mounted in the forward section of the fender that would have a Y to feed both tanks with individual vents. If i remember correctly 80s vintage chevy one tons used this setup for dual tanks. I have a transfer switch, valve and separate sending units. Think it could work?

11. coilover

coilover Member

I'd bet it will work. I remember the dual tank trucks had a "tree" with about a half dozen hoses running off of it. IIRC the Chevy tanks were one on each side while the Ford had both on one side. On one or the other the transfer valve was problematic (think it was the Ford).

12. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Thanks again Evan. It may be some crazy plumbing but I also think it could work. I don't want to be a pest but whose pop up are you welding into the fender to make it flush? I'd like to paint it in.

13. coilover

coilover Member

We used to use Fog Hollow motorcycle parts but pop up filler caps with threaded bung are on ebay now at less cost. The threaded bung welds to the underside of the fender and you can shim before tacking to make a flush fit. The cap pushes in just a tiny bit and then pops up when turned CC; from there it threads out like a modern gas cap. Here is one on a 34 Ford we did that is flush fit and painted body color. Use the zoom and you will find it even with the top of the license plate and about a foot or so to the left.

Attached Files:

14. coilover

coilover Member

Went back and found a few pics of the 34 under construction, might be of some use.

pop up gas cap 001.jpg pop up gas cap 002.jpg pop up gas cap 003.jpg pop up gas cap 004.jpg

15. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Thanks Evan,
    I just ordered one. I'll let you all know how it works out.

16. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Chevy Blue. looks like you went thru a frame off as I did. Being lazy.. brief overview of your build please

17. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Typical old navy build. I started with junk and hope to end up with a Diamond but it may be just a piece of coal. The frame was the only usable part I bought. Everything else is from aftermarket parts or hand built /fabricated. This is my first complete build after owning several of these trucks so it is moving at a snails pace, started 6-14 projected completion 12-22-20. This truck is for my wife's birthday present. look at my other posts for more details. I would not be this far without the help of some really great people on this forum.