Help with stainless outer door window reveal moulding

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Theclaw1, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Theclaw1

Theclaw1 Member

I removed the stainless outer window reveal moulding on the doors of my 1949 chevy truck in preperation for body work and paint. I am now ready to reinstall the moulding but can't figure out how to do it without completely destroying it. Can anybody advise me on how to proceed before I completely lose my mind, I dont have much left?

2. e015475

e015475 Member

Push it into the corner of the window nearest the part that gets overlaid, making sure it fits tight in the first corner, then work it around the frame. You'll have to bend it slightly to get it into the aperture. If the last leg is a little bent upwards when you are done, it will clamp to the pinch weld tight enough to hold it there. Hope this helps

3. Theclaw1

Theclaw1 Member

Thanks for the info. I’ll give it a try today. My fear is bending it too much and ruining the stainless.

4. Theclaw1

Theclaw1 Member

5. Theclaw1

Theclaw1 Member

Got the drivers side installed with only a couple of anxious moments. Thanks for the advice.

6. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hah...good on you. I had the stainless only on my driver door. Before I moved to VA, I had an extra passenger door with the stainless leaned up against my shed for YEARS, probably a decade or more.. When we moved, I took the door apart enough to take off the stainless as I didn't need the door or wanted to move it. It sat in my garage for 4 more years until recently when I painted the black passenger door to match the rest of the truck. Now for the first time since I've owned it, the truck is all one color and the stainless trim is on. Typical adult ADHD story...always leaving one small thing undone on a project. Lol.
    Andy

7. Chiro

Chiro Member

BTW...I only posted because there are CRICKETS on this forum lately. Nobody posting. Is it too cold to work on your trucks everybody? Doesn't anybody have a heated shop? I don't but I still get some work done in VA in winter.
    Andy

8. e015475

e015475 Member

Mine went to Phoenix to have the AC and interior put in. It is winter here, I have a heater, but the truck's been gone for almost two months now. I hesitated for several years before I installed a heater in the garage, and now that I have one, there's no truck to work on.

I've noticed there's very little traffic on the traditional boards like this one anymore, The 67-72Chevytrucks.com forum has fallen off too, but not as much as this one. The pool of us that builds and restores these trucks out of nostalgia for ones we owned or drove in our youth is gradually dying off. These type of forums used to be the only game in town, but Facebook and Instagram are gradually taking it over (and are pretty insipid, IMO) Inflation over the last couple of years and the boom in truck prices during the pandemic period has put the hobby out of reach for a lot of folks. There still seems to be a lot of interest in the AD trucks though - there was an ICON AD truck that went through BAT recently for $345K and I just saw a piece of junk that looked like it'd just been pulled out of a field asking $16.5K. It is nuts.

Here's mine on the way to Phoenix on a rollback-

[​IMG]
    I had an Old Air system installed in it. All the heater and AC hoses were run in the wheel well to keep them off the firewall. Still have some work to do to clean up the installation and get the AC drain and cowl drain installed properly
    [​IMG]
    My compressor is mounted down low on the engine. The AC installer did a nice job with hardline in the engine bay for the heater
    [​IMG]
    With the AC installed, it is now over at the upholstery shop. Here's a pic of the foam seats on the original frame. Been down to Phoenix twice now to check the fit of the seat, but there's only so much padding you can remove off the back of the seat and still have it look good. I bought some butterscotch colored leather for the seats, door panels and headliner,
    [​IMG]

9. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

Yup Phil
    This site has been quiet for sometime now and all the regulars have moved on with no interest here . miss the good ol days when everyone was here

10. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Hello all,
    I still check this site every day. It's been 5 years since I wrenched on my AD. But I still have it, and still have yet to finish it, but haven't lost interest! And, I have a place to WORK on it. There's a shop heater, but it is still sitting on the floor waiting to be installed. I just hard-wired the 2-post lift last week. baby steps