fuel pump ques for 1954 chevy truck 1/2 ton

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by kks, Jun 18, 2011.

1. kks

kks Member

Question #1: I have gas coming from the tank to the fuel pump, from the pump to the filter is where I have a problem. I put a clear fuel filter on it to see if gas is making its way up the line and into the filter. Its not making it there. Now if I take the line off and point it down gas flows out of it, but when its hooked back up the filter and pointing up, no gas comes to the filter. Its gotta be the fuel pump right?

Question #2. The pump thats on there now has to lines. Each coming into each side of the pump. IE one on the left (coming from the tank) and one on the right that leads up to the filter. Can someone tell which fuel pump I need to replace this one with? Thanks

2. JW 54

JW 54 Member

Mechanical Fuel Pump

I replaced mine last year. I bought it at O'Reilly's. Part #4149. cost me $42.00 works great. Hope this helps.
    JW

3. federale

federale Member

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Just for the heck of it you should try running a line from the inlet side of the pump down to a can of gas then crank the engine over and see if gas comes out of the outlet side of the pump. You might have another problem. Never hurts to be sure...Big Tim :cool:

5. federale

federale Member

True, bigtim. Gas will naturally flow out the inlet side by gravity by virtue of the placement of the gas tank.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Pull both lines from the pump (plug the one from the tank so gas doesn't run out) and have a helper spin the engine with the starter. Put your thumb over the inlet fitting and it should suck a vacuum on it; then put a finger on the outlet fitting and it should build pressure. If not the pump is bad. Remember these are only 2-3# pumps so the suction or pressure isn't huge.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fuel Pump Testing

What Evan said ;

When you're checking the flow into the pump , fuel must GUSH out the inlet pipe from the fuel tank , not just pour or dribble .

KEY OFF ; crank the engine with the outlet side of the pump disconnected , your should get a solid stream of fuel at least 4" long each time it pumps .

The Airtex pumps in the link , are top quality , the first one for $79.00 , is a " Dual Action " typ , this means it is actually two pumps in one and creates vacuum so your wipers won't stall when accelerating or going up hills .

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Check for kinks in the fuel line as it will restrict the flow of fuel into the carb.

9. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

You can also use a vacuum gauge to test for fuel pump pressure . Just hook the line on the gauge to the outlet side of the pump then spin the engine over. It should read 2-4 PSI. Then do a volume test by placing the outlet line in to an old coffee can and spin the engine over. It should start filling the can at a fast rate.... Big Tim :cool:

10. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Good memory on the upside down pump, but that was a big block chevy fuel pump that you could turn upside down and would work on the 235/261 engines ....Big Tim :cool:

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for correcting that, I could not find the post or thread which had it.
    I guess I should try out the work I did on my fuel system to see if I really did get the vapor problem fixed by taking a long ride in it into the hot upper desert. the trucks fuel system had cracked lines, bad fuel pump and what ever else could be wrong. I did find the aluminum clothes pins Nate spoke of, now he has some also. Again Thanks Tim.

12. kks

kks Member

I bought the airtex dual fuel pump. The question I have now is, the dual pump has outlets for the wiper and the pump that is on there now only has an inlet and an outlet and that is it. Do I need to hook something up for the wipers on the new pump. or just run the lines like the pump thats on there now? Thanks

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dual Action Fuel Pump

Just connect the fuel lines .

You'll be making a big mistake not to take advantage of the vacuum side though .

14. kks

kks Member

Can someone tell me how to hook the vacuum up? IE how, to what, where.