power steering pump brackets - 283

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by johndringo, Jan 2, 2010.

1. johndringo

johndringo Member

Newbie here.

I'm in the process of installing power steering in my '62 using Chevy Duty's conversion kit. I'm using part off an '80 Cheyenne C10. The gear box is in but I'm debating where to install the power steering pump. The engine is a 283 that I was told was out of a 70's car (was in the pickup when I bought it). No AC but the alternator is on the top drivers side of the engine. Logical place looks to be near the bottom on the drivers side (near the gear box and plenty of room. I've got the brackets on on the pump from the '80. Am willing to fabricate the brackets if needed but am hoping for suggestions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

Im running a 350sb and mounted on the driver side, i believe most all of them are done that way, I suggest mounting on the driver side, keeps your lines shorter and easier to route.

3. markeb01

markeb01 Member

I agree it should be low on the drivers side for all the reasons stated. You might want to look at the Alan Grove brackets if you're going to fabricate your own. They're flat steel and relatively simple in design. The P/S brackets are near the bottom of this link:
    http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Small_Block_Long_Pump.htm

The following diagram shows a good layout of the parts:
    http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/images/Instructions/402L.pdf

I'm curious what engine mounts you're using. Are you still running the horse shoe mount in the front, or side mounts? Mounting of the P/S brackets may be an interference problem with the horse shoe design.

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Try using a power steering pump and brackets from a 67-72 Chevy PU. w/short water pump. You will also need the duel shiv lower crank pulleys. You can also use the same pump and brackets from any 60s small block w/short water pump. Just try to make sure that everything comes from the same doner cause these parts tend to vary in design and will cause you trouble when you try to fit everything together.

5. johndringo

johndringo Member

thanks

thanks for all the suggestions guys. Unfortunately for me, there wasn't an engine in the donor pickup and it's pretty evident that the engine had a long water pump. The good part is that the steering box is in. Waiting for the salvage yard to open on Monday to try to find my SBC SWP power steering bracket.

6. petercarmon

petercarmon Member

thanks for posting this as well. i'm in a similar situation, contemplating upgrading and installing power steering but i'm still a little shady on the how part. will watch out for tips.

7. drabo

drabo Member

SWP and LWP use the same power steering bracket. Classic Industries sells factory repops.