Gas tank relocation

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by DrMike, Apr 2, 2001.

1. DrMike

DrMike Member

I seen several postings in the past about the same subject but have never seen a clear cut answer to any of them.

Has anyone out there found a viable option for relocating the gas tank from behind the seat to under the bed on a 55-59? Any real options please leave a reply.

DrMike

2. mike 54

mike 54 Member

Using the chevelle tank on my 54 worked great, but am not sure how well it will work on the 55 2nd series it seems that it will work okay. My neighbor saw mine then decided to try it on his 56, but hasn,t done it yet. Probably because the chevelle tank that he had was the one that I used.

3. Greatsix

Greatsix Member

I found a Gas tank I believe from an 85 ford pickup rear mount, My TF is a long wheel base so I put it the area of the spare tire, so I would not have to relocate the crossmember, the tank is deep but it lets me use the stock sending unit,and I will be using a electric fuel pump, If you like I can send you pictures of how I mounted it. The only problem so far is the orignal sending unit has a strange thread I used a 2 1/2 fire hydrant cap and lot of silicone.
    Billy Gibson dba HooT58

4. my56

my56 Guest

yes, email me at p.legates@att.net. CD seems to cut out my directions to a webpage that has a tech artical on how to install the blazer/ suburban tank from 69 to 73.

5. Craig

Craig Guest

Unfortunately the Blazer gas tank is too big to fit under the bed of the 1955-59 pickups.There is a company called Tank,Inc that makes a drop in steel tank.That are not expensive compared to the stainless tanks.I will do some checking and see if they have a web site or literature so everyone can look at it.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

6. mark57

mark57 Member

I found a tank from a 1977 postal jeep 16x21x10deep. I modified the stock 57 truck sending unit to fit and mounted the filler neck behind the lic plate.

7. islasj

islasj Member

Mike 54

Do you remember the year of the chevelle, that you used the gas tank from?

islasj

Thanks

8. sweet50

sweet50 Member

I went custom, well kind of. I mounted a 16 gal fuel cell under the bed.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...art=SUM-290108&N=700+-128260+115&autoview=sku

Brand: Summit
    Product Line: Summit Pro Street Fuel Cells
    Part Type: Fuel Cells
    Part Number: SUM-290108
    Capacity: 16 gallons
    Fuel Cell Color: Black
    Fuel Cell Material: Plastic
    Foam: Yes
    Sending Unit Included: Yes
    Sender Ohm Range: 0 ohms empty, 90 ohms full
    Length (in): 25.000 in.
    Width (in): 17.000 in.
    Height (in): 9.000 in.
    Outlet Fitting Quantity: Two
    Outlet Fitting Size: -8 AN
    Return Fitting Size: -6 AN
    Sump: Yes
    Sump Depth (in): 2 in.

9. drabo

drabo Member

I was thinking about doing that swap also but have since changed my mind. I'm now thinking about installing a cut-off switch inside the cab and a locking gas cap. By having my gas tank inside the cab it is harder for theifs to slide under the bed, drill a hole in the tank and steal all my liquid gold. The switch and gas cap will keep all that fuel safely inside the tank where I can use it up and then take another morgage out to get another tank. Just a thought.

10. hondoe1

hondoe1 Member

They make a tank now that will bolt right to the frame.LMC has it for around a hundred bucks.

11. Shruuuum

Shruuuum Member

Hi Mike my name is Lee Peters I have a 53 chevy truck and I also would like to move the tank under the truck do you have any Pitchers? and what year of chevelle did you use thanks.:)
    LEE.

12. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Actually the company you are refering to is Tanks, Inc. Here is their website: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm

Dr. Mike,

I personally don't like any of the tanks that are visible hanging under the truck as viewed from the back or side. The blazer tanks hang down and the '69 Camaro tanks that seem to now be the rage also hang down below the rear bumper. Looks like an afterthought, IMO. I used a Tanks, Inc. 49-52 Chevrolet passenger car tanks on my 1965. You can find pictures, some instructions and parts list on post #8 here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444378

Here is my tank set-up
    [​IMG]
    And some drawings I made. These should help you to determine if the tank will fit in your frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------
    And here is an article from Classic Trucks for installing a gas tank in the rear of a 1957 1/2 ton: http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/1009clt_1957_1_2_ton_small_window_ton/index.html

I hope this helps. If you have any questions on the tank I installed feel free to ask, always glad to help.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  13. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

No doubt that's the best place for the tank. I would have liked to have done that on my '65, but with the coil sprung stock trailing arms there is no room.

14. justplainray

justplainray Member

this one is out of

a 1959/60 Chevy passager car
    [​IMG]
    Had to shorten the neck. Home made straps to hang it, used frame cross member forward and bed rear sill for attachment points.
    the best part is that the car sending unit is compatible with the truck gas gauge.
    Used a Nova flip-up license plate to find the filler, removed in this photo for paint job.
    [​IMG]
    justplainray