My GMC Panel 1949

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by rfigueroa, May 15, 2013.

1. rfigueroa

rfigueroa Guest

Hello Friends, want to jump-start my GMC panel but I need the chassis black, I have a Chevy Van G20 1972 unused, and I want to place the Chevy Van chassis into the Panel, any of your advise to do this will be grateful. Does anyone know if the measures are the same?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards.

2. rfigueroa

rfigueroa Guest

GMC Panel Truck 1949

Attached Files:

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Most of the 70s up full size has a wider track width than our trucks. If you don't plan to lower it much, you can make this work. The tires will stick out of the fenders a litttle (skateboard effect). Many have done this with 4x4 conversions. Our trucks are closer to a midsize ( Dakota) truck.

4. rfigueroa

rfigueroa Guest

Thank you my friend, can you recomend a good suplier, because I sure will need a lot of stuf.

Here it is a picture of my Chevy Van G20

Attached Files:

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy the ride while your here, great photo thanks for sharing.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

No parts suppliers on that conversion that I am aware of. Start by measuring wheelbase, Strip the van and adjust wheelbase to fit the truck. Measure from front wheel center to a specific point on the cab, set cab on frame and make mounts to fit. Fit front sheetmetal, trim to fit around new chassis. Mock up bed and make mounts to make permanent. Make running board mounts to new frame. Connect wiring, steering and brakes.

Take as many measurements as you can before taking anything apart, up down, front, back, diagonals, ride hight, wheelbase, engine setback, radiator position, etc. Take lots of pictures of everything, bag and label all hardware. Don't scrap ANYTHING until project is completed.

Good luck.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome !

What Russ said !

Especially : DO NOT TOSS OUT ANYTHING until the job is 100 % finished and driving to your liking .

Then , you'll be pleased to find that all those rusty , bent & worn out parts do have ca$h value .