216 engine problem

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 47chevyrod, Apr 5, 2007.

1. 47chevyrod

47chevyrod Member

OK so I have my 47 chevy the last time I drove it It was running fine and all of the sudden it got hot and I looked and it was poring water out of the back of the motor. The motor still runs fine it just leaks water very fast. I got started changing the motor first off by building a new one. I decided to put a 250 in it but as I was taking the pressure plate off the 250 I saw the freeze plugs and it hit my maybe my block isnt cracked maybe a freeze plug came out. I havent pulled the 216 yet because it still runs and at least I can run it long enough to move it in and out of the barn. So my question is, are there freeze plugs on the back of a 216 a guy told me there wasnt any. The water runs out into the belhousing so it makes since that it could be one out if there are any

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Have you checked to see where the coolant leaked out? It could be several different things. My initial thought was that you blew a head gasket. Check your oil to see if it looks milky. IIRC, the 216 had a freeze plug on the driver's side under the manifold about half way between the front and back of the length of the motor, slightly more towards the front.

3. 47chevyrod

47chevyrod Member

My oil isnt milky at all I cant really tell were the water is coming from but when its running it sloshes around the flywheel and runs out of the botom of the belhousing and runs out under the the belhousing and out of the hole above the starter.

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow ~ it's been so long since I had a 216 I've forgotten but most Inline engines do have a Welch plug behind the flywheel , it is a simple thing to drop the tranny and then the flywheel so you can look , without touching the engine , that'd be what I'd do .

Keep us posted please .

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

OOOOooo ~ Pretty Engine Pix

Yep , that's it allright . you'll be able to see it once the flywheel is off .

You'll have to remove the bellhousing to replace it tho' :(

Be sure to use a brass replacement plug ! ;)

8. 47chevyrod

47chevyrod Member

as soon as I get a little time im going to see if thats were its leaking from. I really hope it is that would explain the water runing out very fast.

9. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hope it works out for you!

And always remember: My advise and 79 cents will buy you coffee at the "Stop and Rob" and 4 bucks and Nate's advise will buy you Starbucks!:D

10. Chiro

Chiro Member

prolly the freeze out plug. Always the one that goes is the one that is the hradest to replace. Guaranteed, it's the one behind the block, uyp against the firewall. You know...the one that makes you pull the trans, clutch, flywheel and BELL HOUSING TO REPLACE. Cheaper than a rebuild, though.

Andy

11. 47chevyrod

47chevyrod Member

yea its always the part that is hardest to get to or the one they stoped making 20 years ago, or even better all the bolts come out easy until that last one that takes longer to get out than the last 10 because it twists off. Without all the things working on things wouldnt be any fun. I really hope it is that freeze plug that would be way cheaper and easyer than a new motor

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Boy You Guys Said It !

I cannot tell you how many times the littlest thing becomes the largest problem , esp. when I tell the customer " oh , that ? not to worry , we'll fix that in a jiffy ! " :rolleyes:

Robert Baird's 261 project turned sour when the water jacket opened up in the side of the cylinder block as it often does in 216's , 235's & 261's that were run on plain water for years and years.... right behind the generator... :eek:

Of course , if I tell the customer to expect the worst and lay out all the various ways the job might go badly and how it'll suck his wallet dry , it'll all go smooth as silk and then they think I'm either an idiot or worse crooked and tried to set them up for fleecing... :mad:

13. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Loved the Engine Picture

This is for Kens 50 PU, sorry about off topic but the engine picture was great and the paint job is super - what is it painted with and is that an original color for a 235 or just the 216?:confused:

Thanks Craig

14. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Yeah I loved it too...

Too bad it's not mine.:eek: I did a "google" search to see if I could come up with a good shot of a 216 to show where the freeze plugs were located.

15. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Foiled once again batman!

Okay Kens 50 pu just my luck. I'll try and backtrack the website from the other post. Sorry it weren't yours:eek: