spare tire carrier assembly confusi

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 49trucknut, Nov 13, 2005.

1. 49trucknut

49trucknut Member

This should be really easy but I'm having some difficulty with my track style underbed spare tire carrier assembly, (1949 Chevy 3100 truck). I think this style was used from 41 to 50. Later mounts were of the pivot type or side mount. Anyway, the 47-54 factory assembly manual does not show the track carrier, only the pivot type. Please email if you can help me understand exactly how this assembly works, perhaps we can trade some pictures because it's difficult to convey in text. Please refer to the attached pic for the following discussion - my main bracket "B" slides onto the underbed track and rests nicely at the end of the track. It this position, the J-hook looks perfect and hangs perfectly vertical and into the other end of the main bracket-mounting hole. There's a smaller adapter mount "A" that gets mounted to the frame bracket "C" and cradles the wheel/tire assembly (spare not shown). This smaller adapter mount "A" straddles the main bracket "B". Trouble is that the adapter mount "A" does not appear to be in the correct position - there are stop tabs in the main bracket "B" that are spaced to receive the adapter mount "A". In my case, the adapter mount "A" does not align properly with the main bracket stop tabs "B". There's maybe a 2-inch offset. If I slide the main bracket down the track slightly so the stop tabs align with the adapter mount, the J-hook is on a severe angle and does not look correct. Thanks for any help and/or more detailed pictures of a correctly installed carrier. 49trucknut

http://iserver.chevyduty.com/dcforum/User_files/4377f7dd04fce247.jpg

Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4377f7dd04fce247.jpg

2. Brian

Brian Member

RE: spare tire carrier assembly con

You are correct, your type of spare carrier changed after 1950. The reason you do not see your type spare carrier in the assembly manual is simple - while it says 47-54, it is actually just 1954. Hey, the false advertising worked - you bought it. (So did I)

I am well acquainted with this carrier, I also have a 1949. My first question is, is your carrier an original, or a reproduction? If it is repro, that is your problem. Poor fit of a reproduction part. I have an original, and it fits perfectly.

Brian

3. 49trucknut

49trucknut Member

I have seen the reproduction units and I'm sure mine is original. I was badly rusted and road aged, it even came with the original J-hook and "special" nut. I just had my carrier blasted and painted. I was advised not to get the reproduction becasue of fit issues. If it's not much trouble, could I impose and ask for some pictures or at least some critial mounting dimensions so I can be sure my underbed brackets and carrier are properly positioned. Attached another pic showing the track and fixed bracket. Will do some more checking, perhaps these parts are improperly located. Also, as you can see from the picture, I might have to bend my tail pipe too.

Yeah, I've been a bit confused with the assembly manual from time to time. Not many folks seem to realize that the carrier designs were not all the same. Thanks - talk with you later!

http://iserver.chevyduty.com/dcforum/User_files/437956ea06a8d73f.jpg

Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/437956ea06a8d73f.jpg

4. 49trucknut

49trucknut Member

Here's a couple more photos that may explain why my carrier is not aligned properly. I believe that one of my mounting brackets is improperly installed. Carefully look at the bracket and how far the track extends past the bracket in the following photos. In the poor quality low res photo you can see differences in how this bracket is installed (compared to my installation shown in the higher quality photo). If I correct my bracket to match whats shown in the low res photo, my installation should be perfectly aligned. Any photos of the correct installation of this bracket would be greatly appreciated!

http://iserver.chevyduty.com/dcforum/User_files/43796fba08f082bc.jpg

http://iserver.chevyduty.com/dcforum/User_files/4379700d0a1cbf58.jpg

Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/43796fba08f082bc.jpghttps://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4379700d0a1cbf58.jpg

5. 49trucknut

49trucknut Member

6. Brian

Brian Member

Good!
    I was not sure exactly what was the problem, but now I realize you moved the "C" bracket from the back end of the cross member to the front end, correct? I looked at mine and realize that is where my "C" bracket also hits the cross member. But you make me realize I am doing mine wrong. Apparently, "C" bracket is bolted permanently to the cross member, and the spare is merely brought up into it. I bolted the "C" bracket to the spare carrier over the spare, and then lifted the whole outfit up. It makes much more sense your way. My way, the spare has a couple of nuts and bolts that have to be removed prior to getting the spare off. I guess your way avoids the nuts and bolts, is that right?
    Thanks
    Brian

7. 49trucknut

49trucknut Member

Brian - your analysis of my assembly is almost correct. The last picture I posted is the finished/correct assembly. Originally my C bracket straddled the frame cross member, (as shown in earlier photos). Consequently the C bracket was too far towards the back of the vehicle and my A bracket studs would not line up with the C bracket unless I slid the A bracket along the B bracket. When I did this, the A bracket did not line up with the stop tabs on the B bracket. So, you are correct, I did move the C bracket forward and mounted it to the front edge the cross member. There were original mounting holes in the member that lined up perfectly with the C bracket. After moving the C bracket all the pieces fit perfectly.

Unfortunately, the two studs in the A bracket that engage the C bracket must still be secured with nuts. This means that to drop the spare, these nuts must be removed along with the J-hook. Without the studs/nuts of the A bracket, the only thing holding the entire assembly together would be the J-hook, (which is not a secure mount). I'm sure thats why the A bracket studs are needed. Unfortunately, this makes tire removal/insertion VERY difficult. I've been told that this assembly was a royal pain and that if it was ever removed, nearly everybody just tossed the whole thing in the trash. I can appreciate that now.

One last bit of info - when the spare is stowed properly into the carrier the hub cap side of the wheel will be facing the ground. The wheel will be centered on the A bracket and gently resting around the perimiter of the flat circular top surface of the A bracket. Meanwhile, the tire itself gets some support from the B bracket. The spare is not rigidly secured to anything. So, when fully stowed, the spare will rest on the A and B brackets and be restricted from movement mostly by the C bracket (which engages the spare from the other side of the wheel). OK - sorry, now I've really done it. Hopefully this makes some sense as you look at the pictures. Wish I had one with the spare stowed but my tail pipe needs to be moved a couple inches to provide proper clearance.

If you need more pictures, just ask - glad to help. Also glad to know that this one hasn't just fooled me!

8. 49trucknut

49trucknut Member

FINAL UPDATE:
    My apologies for the last post, Brian's analysis was correct. After actually placing my spare tire into the carrier, I discovered that the two nuts for the "A" bracket studs into the "C" bracket CAN NOT physically be installed - there just isn't any way to install these nuts with the tire in place! So, much to my surprise, only the J-hook holds the spare in place. Fortunately, I also discovered that the J-hook nut can be secured tight enough such that the inner side of the spare tire wheel gets pressed into the "C" bracket, forming a pretty secure assembly, (the spare is very secure with no movement). These last pics show the final results....

49trucknut
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/43814b920a1cce1f.jpghttps://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/43814be50978d056.jpg

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: spare tire

Looks like you're running 15" CAR tires there.....

Glad to hear you figured it out , I'd love a slide out typ carrier...

-Nate

10. Brian

Brian Member

RE: spare tire

And here I was thinking with this new information, these spares are even more a pain than I ever thought! So, the correct method is to bolt the "C" bracket to the cross member, and just mount the spare on "A" bracket, and lift up "B" and secure with J hook. Is that correct? What I did was bolt the spare to "A" and "C" and just allow "C" to touch the cross member after raising "B". Your way is much better.

BTW, I did not see this originally, but you actually have a spare tire lock also! Is it original enough that the ignition/door key fits it?

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: spare tire LOCK

IIRC the spare tire locks had a different key profile and code , I know they did by 1960 year model.....

-Nate

12. 49trucknut

49trucknut Member

Guys -
    Unfortunately, the spare tire lock/key does not match the ignition.

Brian - you have correctly identified how my spare is mounted. I'm pretty sure it's correct becasue all the holes lined up as well as the overall carrier.

One final mystery - there are extra holes in the "C" bracket and cross member that don't seem to have any purpose. Perhaps the extra cross member holes were for some other option. The two extra "C" bracket holes are not positioned from front to back (like those that align with the "A" bracket studs) but are positioned from left to right - they are spaced wider than the "A" stud holes too. Attached one more pic showing the extra holes - this is a old photo with the "C" bracket incorrectly positioned. Any ideas?
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4384fe1e0284094a.jpg

13. Brian

Brian Member

I have the extra holes on my "C" bracket also, and no clue either why they are there. But no matter, they are well hidden, unlike the extra holes on my firewall!
    I am fairly convinced that originally one key fit all locks on our trucks - ignition, glovebox, door, and spare lock. These spare tire locks were standard equipment, from the factory, why would one key fit the first three and then a different key for the spare lock? I wonder if a locksmith could change the tumblers inside the spare lock so the ignition key would work in it.