Transmission hump

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by rustbucket, Jan 6, 2009.

1. rustbucket

rustbucket Member

i go from engine issues to a desperate call for help!!

My pillaged '62 cab had a stick shift and whats going in is on the tree so I need to replace the transmission hump panel. I thought the 63 hump panel would fit, but NO... it is a big hump and the '62 is small.

Does ANYONE have, or make, the center (transmission hump) panel for a '62?

Does anyone make the ENTIRE floor panel? :mad:

2. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

No, the entire floor panel or the tranny hump cover are not currently being reproduced. You can get partial floor patch panels, as well as lower kick panels from this site sponsor, Classic Parts.

FYI, all factory floor shift trucks (SM420 or SM465 4-speeds) came from the factory with a high hump tranny cover. If you have a low hump, your truck was originally equipped with a column shift auto or manual, so it must have been modified somewhere during its history.

3. drabo

drabo Member

Can you cut the hump out of your old cab?

4. beck

beck Member

Doesn't the hump panel just bolt in?

I changed the floor confituration on my truck quite a bit. When I was doing this I thought the hump panel just bolted in. If so that allows it to be changed from a big hump to a small hump or the other way around. If you run the big hump anything stock under the floor will work. So just put a big hump in and whatever you do down the road will be fine as far as the floor is concerned.

My 62 truck may have been converted somewhere along the line but it had an automatic column with a single pedal. The hump was a big one. I think the big trucks (ones with side steps) had little humps. Those cabs were installed higher on the frames so the big hump wasn't necessary to clear the transmissions. They did have holes in the humps for the shifter and brake levers. These trucks should be available for parts if you are in a rural area. Find one that was barn kept and the cab and floor will be in good shape.

My floor is really different. I had to move the hump higher and slightly to the left. The right front of the hump at the firewall had to have a bubble added. Why you ask? My motor was intentionally offset to the drivers side and the truck cab is lowered on the frame so the hump had to move up and left to clear the 475 turbo trans (thats a 400 with stronger straight cut gears). The bubble in the right front of the hump was to clear the 3" discharge coming from the turbocharger mounted on the Cummins diesel exhaust manifold. I'm buildin' a slammed smoker.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Only the Big hump has a bolt-on inspection cover Buddy.

Val

6. mojo rising

mojo rising Member

My '63 GMC has a small hump tran cover that is bolt on...Or are you talking about the '64-'66's Chev/GMC? I've noticed that all the ones I see that are small hump are in one piece and are permanetly attached to the cab.

7. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Yup I was... Sorry... 64-66 3 speed column shift and automatics have solid pan floors including the trans hump. The 4 speed models and the 4 wheel drives have the high hump...

Val

8. rustbucket

rustbucket Member

wooohooooo
    it fits...just took some finesse....