Gas tank relocation

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by bob39666, Aug 16, 2001.

1. bob39666

bob39666 Member

I have a 1966 chevrolet stepside short wheel base and was wondering if any one knew the easiest way to relocate the gas tank to under the bed. Will a gas tank from a 70 or 80 model truck work with a little modification. Also I was wondering if I remove my seat what would be the best to replace it with. What has worked the best for ya'll. thanks

2. brublack

brublack Member

For relocating the gas tank, check out http://pages.zdnet.com/64moneypit/daves64chevy/id10.html as far as seats if you want new click on http://www.salesco.com/fullseats.htm or almost anything used in a full size pickup will work especially if you move your gas tank. I put a seat from an 80's Suburban in mine, just had to modify the original brackets a little. http://users.sisna.com/brublack/truck

3. monks 64 c10

monks 64 c10 Member

I have a freind that built a 69 c10 and he used a gas tank out of a 89 s10, also i just put a seat in my 64 c10 out of a 95 c1500, i went with the 40/20 split with the arm rest. The only adjustments were a few washers under the 40 side. :D

4. speedball

speedball Member

I removed my gas tank to the under side of my bed and am happy with the results. (safer too) I used a pre made tank from No Limit Engineering and it went in easily. I only had to move the rear cross member of the frame.
    I used a Teas Design for my front seat and am happy with the fit and look although I had to make the seat bracket to bolt it to the floorboards.
    Check my web page for details on both subjects and some pictures.
    http://www.geocities.com/richmond2_99/64PU.html
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/http://www.geocities.com/richmond2_99/64PU.htmlhttps://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/3bf9a58a05801775.html

5. 1965_Hybrid

1965_Hybrid Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-02 AT 03:49 AM (CST)]What i've got planned for my truck is something along those lines. My '65 has probably a 17 gallon tank behind the seat. I'm going to remove that and place two saddle tanks under the bed tucked beneath the rear fenders. As cool as it maybe to tell everyone that your fuel tank is behind your seat it'll be safer to get it out of the cab.

Matt }>

6. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

Matt,
    Are the saddle tanks under the rear fenders going to be inside or outside of the frame rails? Outside would be subject to explosions from side impacts like the 73 models wouldn't they?. I have thought about relocating my tank also, I don't like riding with an explosive
    directly behind me.
    Butch60stp

7. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

If you go to the trouble of moving the tank out of the cab, ( a VERY good idea, by the way), move it between the frame rails. I've heard good and bad stories about the aftermarket tanks. Speedballs is a good one. A bad one is from a well know supplier named after a sibling. A friend installed their kit and it hung down lower than the rear differential and rear bumper. Not a very safe position for 20 gallons of potentially explosive material!
    I have heard of folks using Jeep Cherokee tanks that fit well. I have a 64 Panel and the tank is already between the frame rails with a notch for the spare tire storage. (Don't hate me)

The seat? I picked up a 60/40 split bench out of a 70's C10. Fit like a glove including all mounting brackets. Warning ! Wrecking yards are asking a ton of American dollars for these. When I was looking, yards were quoting $500 to $700 for used seats that "needed" re doing. (!) I found mine from a vendor at a GoodGuys meet. It was already re done in tweed. He asked for $650, I offered $500 cash. Done deal.

8. 1965_Hybrid

1965_Hybrid Member

Well, I smoke so it's kind of a catch 22 wherever i put the tank. Inside the frame rails will make a lot more sense though. I got the idea because i used to own a (TADAHH!) 1973 C-10. Either way it's a way down the road.

Matt

9. rustbucket

rustbucket Member

Do you have a web site for Speedballs?

10. dvalentine

Look in this thread. Speedball listed his web site.

11. David

David Member

I was in a real bad auto accident in 1984, when I was 5 years old. My gradpa, Uncle, Dad, and Me were in a 1965 GMC, and we were HIT on the drivers side by a diesel doing 60+ miles an hour or so, while we were turning onto a dirt road. The gas tank did tear open from the impact, and DID NOT EXPLODE.

To make a long story short, the gas tank behind the seat IS as SAFE AS UNDER the bed between the frame rails.

I own a 62' Chevy C10, and I am happy to have the tank inside the cab with me.

David

12. dvalentine

David, I'm glad that you made it out of that collision OK.

I do disagree with you though. There is no way that 16 gals of highly explosive material confined to the inside of a truck cab and two feet away from the occupants is as safe as placing that same material ten feet away from you outside the cab. Remember too that these are 30 year old vehicles we are talking about. Like everything else that old, because of age, things deteriorate. That includes fuel tanks. Common problem: " everytime I fill my truck up, I smell gas in the cab." Answer; leaking filler neck that spills contents out everytime you make a right turn. Take that situation and thrown in a collission. Not a good outcome.

Dennis

13. David

David Member

Hi Dennis,
    I do agree to an extent on the tank being inside with me. I have all new parts for the tank, except for the tank itself. I have no smell of fumes in the cab, or when I make a right turn. But trying to restore her to the way she rolled off the assembly line has become a little challenging to find correct parts.

The reason I said the tank was as safe as inside, as is outside was because my friend was in his truck stopped at a light about a month or so ago, and was rear ended. The tank ruptured, and the fumes were lit from the hot exhaust. Since then he purchased a new (old)truck.

David

14. MikeRS17

MikeRS17 Member

HI will this work for a 1960 pickup with the rear springs in the back?

15. dvalentine

>I have done a lot of buisness with our host but certain
    >situations have forced me to look elswhere for my parts. I
    >have found a underbed poly tank suitable for 63-66 Chevy and
    >GMC trucks at Brotherstrucks.com . It is reasonbly priced
    >at 269.95 plus S&H. Good Luck with moving your fuel tank
    >from insided the cab. }>

Ralphy, WATCH THAT TANK !! The poly tanks from our friends over at the "other" supplier are noted for hanging down way too low. Like 3 to 6 inches below the differential. Not a good thing to have that much fuel in a position to be punctured by road hazards.

16. bk65

bk65 Member

Good advice on the poly tank. I saw one on a truck and it hung down too low for my taste, and my truck sits high to begin with.

You'd think that with all the interest in getting the tank out of the cab that someone would offer one that fits and doesn't hang way down. I've looked for some time for a tank out of a 60-66 suburban (which is behind the rear axle and between the frame rails) but they are impossible to find. Found plenty of suburbans/carryalls, but the tanks were either destroyed or already gone. So I've resorted to making my own. However, I did find a fill tube from a 60-66 suburban which will at least solve that problem. Even though my truck is a K10, maybe the pictures will give you all some ideas. I'm still in the process of getting the truck back together so the gas tank project is not yet completed, (should be done in a couple of weeks)but there are some shots of the tank in it's final position (supported by the ever popular milk crates).

http://community.webshots.com/user/65k10

I've heard rumors (from my Mustang friends) that the Ford Granada had a drop in style tank that held about 19 gallons and might fit nicely between the frame rails. However, the thought of an Ford product on my Chevy gives me the willies and the heebie-jeebies:)

I wonder how the liability attorneys at Chevy today would react if Chevy wanted to offer a truck today with the tank in the cab AND offer a cigarette lighter!

17. MikeRS17

MikeRS17 Member

I am going to relocate my gas tank, I have a 1960 C10. None of the already made tanks work on my frame, so I am going to have one custom made by No Limit Engineering. Has anybody heard of this company, do they make quality gas tanks, they are aluminum.

18. 63jalopy

63jalopy Member

I have a friend who installed a tank from No Limit Engineering and he is very pleased with it. I helped him install it--it is so stinking easy to install. You have the usual fuel lines to run, which isn't fun, but other than that it's smooth sailing. Even if you install it yourself, it shouldn't take more than a weekend working on it. Hope this helps.

19. MikeRS17

MikeRS17 Member

Hey guys it's me again. On My 60 pickup I just took the bed off and it looks like it's going to be tought to get a tank in there between the frame rails. Since I have the rear coil springs and torsion bar system, my frame is different from 63 and up. Hey Jalopy do you know how low he made the tank from the bottom of the frame rail. Please guys any help appreciatedd

20. 63jalopy

63jalopy Member

To tell you the truth, all my bud did was call No Limit and order a gas tank. No dimensions were really brought up other than tell him that everything under the bed was stock. Sorry I couldn't be more help.