How to convert a 6 volt horn to a 12 volts system

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Hey, guys

I would like to use the old 6 volts horn and put it back in the engine compartment. My truck have the 12 volts converted electric system, but what do i need to do get this done?

Sinc. Martinius

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Absolutely Nothing!

Hallo Norway!

Your 6 volt horn will be fine connected to the 12 volt system. It will be louder then the 6 volt:cool:. The old system could carry more amps. As long as you don't lay on the horn for long periods I wouldn't worry about it:).

Flashlight

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

It will be LOUD. In instances where much horniness is needed, substitute traffic finger to keep the horn from burning up.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Just So !

Same as the 6 volt starter ~ it neds NO modification as long as you don't operate it for long periods of time (shouldn't do that anyways) it'll last forever .

5. Vankar

Vankar Member

Another question

Hello everyone, I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but I think its better than making a new one.
    I'm in the process too of installing a 6v car horn to my 12v system (this time for a 51 chevy car, which I think is the same process as for the truck) but I still have some doubts, first the horn cable is really thick compared to the current modern horn installed, which makes me think it might burn or something, do you guys recommend installing it directly to that cable?. Second, about loudness, is it possible to install something between this cable and the horn to leave it at 6v? or maybe the horn relay has something to do with it?.

Attached Files:

• horn.jpg
      horn.jpg
      File size:
      190.2 KB
      Views:
  6. federale

federale Member

Re:Horns

As Nate says,the horns will be fine. I still have the 6 volt dual horns on my 53 hooked to 12 volt, they work fine and are LOUD!!! :D

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

Buy a repop 12 V. that looks like the 6 V. style.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  8. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    There are voltage reducers that are inexpensive to buy. I do not think my 6 volt horn on a 12 volt system is loud by todays standards. It has a more Euro sound in my opinion. Go ahead and try it without, if you don't like it you can always put in a reducer. The old wires are thicker because they carried more amps but less volts.

Flashlight