700r4 into a 72 Longbed

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by wilson, Apr 5, 2005.

1. wilson

wilson Member

What is needed besides the driveshaft to make this work? How about shifting linkages and speedo cables? My dad passed this truck onto me since he is now in a nursing home and unable to do anything with it. I plan on making it my daily driver so an overdrive is a must. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to chatting with alot of you in the future.

Thanks,

Wilson

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi Wilson,

Very sorry about your Dad. Let's see if we can help. A bit more information is needed. What is in the truck now in the way of motor and trans ?

DVal

3. wilson

wilson Member

Thanks DVal. The current and original combo is 350ci/TH-350 with the 2-piece driveshaft.

Wilson

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-05 AT 10:13 AM (CST)]Thanks Wilson, that helps.

All that should be necessary is to move the trans crossmember back. If this is a short bed you can also go with a one-piece driveshaft.
    If the current drive shaft trans yoke has the correct spline count you can re-use that on the new drive shaft. DONOT install a 700 r4 drive shaft yoke ! They have a vent hole that will leak everytime you park it. Use the TH350 yoke, as it has no vent hole.

You will need a TV cable. Check out the TV 101 article located at http://www.700r4.com. Read it a number of times but don't let it scare you. You will see that setting up the TV cable is very crucial to keeping the 700R4 from destroying itself.

Speedo cable will work, but you will need to match the drive gear in the trans to your wheel/tire combination and rear end ratio.

If you want to keep the column shifter, check out Lokar. The column indicator will not be correct and you will not be able to manually shift into 1st gear, but most folks don't seem to mind that too much.
    If you want to go floor shift the Lokar Nostalgia Shifter is very close to the factory Granny 4 speed shifter and looks good in there.
    Let us know if I got most of your questions.

DVal