bad gas mileage

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by oldblue64, Nov 6, 2007.

1. oldblue64

oldblue64 Member

Hello everybody, my 1964 chevy stepside has a 350 motor with 3-speed trans.The motor is stock except for a Edlebrock 600cfm carb and headers.I'm getting really crappy mileage,about 10-11 mph.The carb is brand new,and I have set it. The truck runs great but I can't deal with this mileage.Now that gas is $3.00 a gal.I don't rod the truck,can't afford to ! Can anybody think of anything that might help the mph ?Thanks for your help.

2. 283 man

283 man Member

A 700r transmission would help your mileage out greatly..

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

What rear end are you running?

4. billydonn

billydonn Member

283 Man,
    Just a few weeks ago when many of us recommended overdrive trannys, you were a big defender of the powerglde weren't you? Why the change? LOL!

"No matter if a person likes or dislikes a 2 speed powerglide transmission it is a part of 1960-1966 truck era & cars of that era and before had 2speed powerglides its history that was a part of our trucks in the 60s its all up to a person what motor or transmission they want in their ride.Its called freedom of choose GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!" (Your words here.)

5. billydonn

billydonn Member

OldBlue,
    There is a thread below, "Another Transmission Question". You should read through it.

6. 283 man

283 man Member

I said that I want a 2 speed power glide for my other 66.I will find one and put it in my other 66 one day because its my choose NOT YOURS.(I have not said anything bad about the 700r transmission just give more opions.) 2 speed powerglide is part of the 60s era wheather you like it or not:DIm here on this forum trying. to help people and NOT to MOCK people like your trying to do right now to me. GROW UP Billydonn!!!!!.You also tryed to keep me from talking to my friend 62 shortsep on here weeks back Billydonn but its not going to happen:)Have a sweet day Billydonn.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  7. 283 man

283 man Member

If everyone reads thur this thead they will see why Im upset with billydonn.I think if a man wants a 3 speed standard,4speed standard a 700r or 2speed powerglide it the own individials choose to do so,I will put a 2speed powergide in my other 66 one day.

8. 283 man

283 man Member

I will be a bigger man and not resond (ANYMORE) to a a$$$hole who Mocks another man like a child and walk away :)smiling.

9. oldblue64

oldblue64 Member

I guess the rearend is the stock one for the org.6cyl.I never run it faster than 55-60.The engine sounds smooth not about to fly apart.could something be wrong with the carb?thanks

10. 283 man

283 man Member

They have started making E85 carb. that run on E85 wish they would start making more E85 gas stations:).

11. drabo

drabo Member

Since you have a three speed manual I would recommend a 5 speed swap. There is an article about it on the Classic Trucks web site. Also check your rear end gear. I think you can instsall a 3:73 gear with out changing your carrier. Lastly a 700R4 tranny swap is a real nice way to go.

12. billybones

billybones Member

Hey 283 man, I noticed your e85 statement. Soon I hope when I have more time, I am going to voice my findings with ethanol fuels. In short...........do anything you can not to run that crap!!! I have been in contact with one of the refineries and was lucky to find some stations (around me) that carry straight gas. Ethanol is a scam.........and has raised absolute hell with small engines and big alike. More later.......but it IS a scam..........it is a political campaign tool as exposed by a few tv documentaries.......and by my personal experience. AND..........it is actually damaging the environment instead of helping. When I'm not at work, I'll dig deeper for you all.............

13. 283 man

283 man Member

Yea Ive heard pros and cons about the E85,Im just like everybody else felling the price at the gas pump:eek::eek:,looking down road wondering whats in store!;)

14. billybones

billybones Member

Yes, I hear ya. One of the BIG problems with ethanol is that it has already doubled the cost of growing corn (around my area) and associated equipment..........and while we may think it will mean lower fuel costs.............we are going to pay up the butt at the grocery store...........

In Mexico...last I heard, their price for corn maize (which they survive on) has gone up 600%. Just think if OUR grocery bill went up 600%. People would be going to the supermarket with their Smith & Wessons!!!

But, just for the sake of caring for your motor............run the real gas. Hint.......if the gas smells like paint thinner.......don't use it. Here in NY.........they have to tell you if it is ethanol...........stickers on the pump. But, you can smell the difference.

15. 283 man

283 man Member

They have aready converted most of the new vehicles to run on E85 my 2007 chevy silverado crewcab 5.3 liter will run on E85,when we got it at the dealership they said gas mileage on E85 wont do as good as gas.

16. billybones

billybones Member

You are correct 283 man.............less power, less mileage, have to use more of it, reduced engine longevity=more cost to you (us). It's all politics and big business.........and I'm tired of getting SCREWED. Besides........when you factor in all the fuel that goes into cultivating, planting, harvesting and transportation...........it is (hands down, end of story)worse for the environment.........couple that along with ethanol plants....(they are building one here in Buffalo)........and we are going backwards. I was originally for the idea and wanted to invest in the plant here........now I'm so against it that I could spit nails............

17. drabo

drabo Member

I heard that to convert to E85 you need to re-jet the carb and change to a poly gas tank (E85 is corrosive). But when E85 gets real popular it going to be just as pricey as gas.

18. billybones

billybones Member

Yes it is corrosive...........look at the bendable fuel lines at NAPA next time you're there........you will notice the inside of the tubes are now copper treated. What does that say about the fuel systems that we are using now..?...........they have done random testing at various gas stations and found ethanol percentages as high as 30%!!!!!!!!! Like....holy SHIT!!!!!! It's supposed to be no higher than 10%...........

I was having major driveability problems with my Pontiac on pump gas that says 10%. ALL of the problems went away with 1/2 a tank of non ethanol gas!!!! Car runs beautiful now. Same thing with my chain saws. AND.........I had to pay $85 to get my NEW leaf vaccuum running again after that crap fuel screwed up my carb........and that was WITH using Stabil in the tank. Ethanol is driving the small engine guys nuts..........I am lucky to be friends with one of the nations best small engine men........he keeps me up to date.

As for it being pricey...........most people don't realize what it is doing($+) to ANY food products connected to corn. We are all going to pay heavily for it ........EX:milk is going up .....because dairy herds eat corn.. and on and on it goes......etc>>> BIG economy boosting scam. Can sell tons of corn planting equipment................farmland is going up too!!!

19. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

There Was A Show On "modern Marvels" Last Night On The History Channel. It States That Ethenal Will Not Be A Solve To The Problem. Its Very Expensive To Produce And Producing It Realeses A Ton Of Carbon Monixide Poisening Into The Atmosphere. The Scientists Are Now Thinking Of Going To Coal To Make Fuel Like Hitler Did To Fuel His Army In Wwii.

Billybones Is Correct According To This Show, It Is A Big Scam By The Government To Make A Ton Of Revenue To Put In There Pockets. Big Suprise. Thats Are "loyal To The People" Government We Work For.

20. billybones

billybones Member

Thanks KUSTOM........I did not see that show. I did see a great one by John Stossell on 20/20. He exposed the truth on the matter and all the politician could say was "it's good for America". And he said it with a big smile on his face too. Stossell also showed the ties to the elections too........it was SICKENING.