Rear Mount Gas Tank 63-72 Short Bed Step Side

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Lakeroadster, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

If you are not a big fan of having the gas tank in the cab and you don't want a tank that hangs so low you can see it from the rear of the truck then this thread is for you.

This modification uses a '49-'52 Chevy passenger car gas tank and locates the tank in the frame behind the rear axle.

While it is being used on a Step Side it could also be done on a Fleet Side.

This modification requires some fabrication and welding skills. It is not a bolt in only modification.

I raised the tank up above the top of the frame rails so the tank would not be visible below the roll pan. If you are running a rear bumper you could install the tank flush with the top of the frame rails. This would further simplify the installation.

Fabrication:
    •This modification also included removing some of the previous owners “welded on” bumper brackets and overload springs.

•Lower frame rail flanges were trimmed using a Sawsall and a grinder to allow the tank to drop out for maintenance.

•Drivers’ side frame rail notched to allow filler tube clearance. Reinforced notch with C4x5.4 structural steel channel.

•Bobbed the rear of the frame to make room for a rear roll pan. This involved removing / replacing the rear frame cross member with a new one out of C4x5.4 structural steel channel. Bottom flange of the channel was cut off to allow tank to drop out for maintenance. New rear bed mounting brackets were also made coping some of the C4x5.4 channel.

•Fabricated upper tank supports out of 1x1x10ga structural rectangular tubing.

•Fabricated tank strap support brackets using 2x1x1/8 structural rectangular tubing.

•Ran 3/8" galvanized zinc fuel line through passenger side frame rail to fuel pump.

•Installed Fram cartridge style fuel filter​

Parts List:
    •Gas Tank: Tanks Inc. P/N 51-CG, 1949-52 Chevy Steel, $195.00

•Mounting Straps: Tanks Inc. P/N UMS, $12.50

•Sending Unit: Brothers P/N ATK59SU, 0-30 Ohm Universal, $26.99

•Gas Filler Pipe: Bob Drake Reproductions P/N 78-9034-B, 1937 Car, $35.00

•Locking Gas Cap: Bob Drake Reproductions P/N01A-18416-B, 1932-50 Pickup, $35.00

•Fuel Filter: Jegs P/N 410-HPG1 (Fram), Canister Style Fuel Filter, $41.99

•Fuel Line Coil Kit: Jegs P/N 555-63036, 3/8" O.D. Tubing Kit, Galvanized Zinc OEM Style, $33.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Rear Mount Tank Post#2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Job !

That looks very nicely done .

How many gallons ? .

Could you use a steel filler neck ? .

Isn't there any worry about using aluminum fuel piping ? aluminum tends to fatigue and crack so I never use it nor copper in fuel pipes .

How about a pic showing where the filler neck comes out with the bed & fender on ? .

TIA ,

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I can always count on Nate to proof read my posts ;)

It's a 15 gallon tank

The filler neck on the tank is steel, the filler neck in the bed is steel, the two are connected with a fuel rated rubber hose.

The fuel line is galvanized zinc... I incorrectly listed it as aluminum.

And here is the filler neck photo you requested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I dropped down and took a photo, then lightened it up so that you can see the tank is not visible. LMC and others sell a rear tank based on the OEM Blazer tanks and these tanks hang down pretty low.

[​IMG]

And a couple more photo's of the ole orange crate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well done sir !

As I work my rig and often have heavy metal things sliding 'round in the bed , I'da done it like the 60's vintage Brand 'F' and 'D' ~ they had a shorter filler neck outside the bed , yours looks terrific , I hope it takes the fuel O.K.from those super fast filling Truck Stop & Ghetto gas pumps ~ I have to be very careful in filling up my '69 C/10 else it'll burp fuel all over my hands....

I hope others here look closely at this deal as in cab fuel tanks cause many HORRIBLE DEATHS :eek: .

Yes , I still have an in cab fuel tank but , I am ready to go right now , few are and death by fire is really bad ~ you don't actually burn to death , you suffocate after the fire crisps the bronchial tubes inside your lungs.....

All this wilst you're burning up , not nice so consider re locating your gas tanks folks .

6. Mjminino

Mjminino Member

It'd be sweet if you listed all the measurements or even fabricated more up and sold them. I would buy them. I am decent at welding, but as far as fabricating and stuff, I just don't have the necessary tools.

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Fabrications "R" Us

Mike I have considered fabricating and selling parts, but with todays' lawsuit mentality society I decided the risk isn't worth the reward.

Especially true for vehicle fuel systems and suspensions.

But if ya got questions... my advice, FWIW, is free :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  8. Mjminino

Mjminino Member

I would gladly sign a waiver, then again you are only creating the parts. It is up to the consumer to install them properly. PM me if interested. I would be more than willing send a bunch of money your way for a lot of items you created in your build.