1987 chevy custom deluxe fender

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by jon8706, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jon8706

jon8706 Member

Hey all,
    I have a fender from an 83 chevy silverado and we tried to put it on my 1987 chevy custom deluxe. It almost fits, we can't seem to get it flush with the door though on the bottom. Should this fender fit? the fender is flush with the wheel well bolt holes. i attached a picture of the fender and the truck. Let me know, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. David Hall

David Hall Member

Fenders from 81-87 will fit your truck. The side marker light will be horizontal indicating its a 81-87 fender. A 73-80 will fit but has different body lines and the marker light is vertical.
    To make the door and fender line up, sometimes the door hinges may need to be adjusted slightly in or out.

3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

You can also adjust the shims between the cab and the fender. If you're reusing the ones that came on the truck, they may or may not line up the new fender properly.

4. jon8706

jon8706 Member

awesome, thanks guys

5. petercarmon

petercarmon Member

hi there, i just wanted to ask if you are sure that a 73-80 will fit an 81-87.. coz i will be getting one soon but i don't want to put it to the test if you're not certain. thanks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  6. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

The '73-80 fenders will fit but you will need to swap the core support, hood, and shorter wiper mounts as well. I have heard of people having problems with the body mounts being off by an inch, but most people say its a direct bolt in.

7. vman

vman Member

I put a 78 front clip on my 86.I had to heat up the core support mounts on the frame and beat them forward and down.I also had to notch the holes for the top fender to cab.