Rochester BC Carburator with automatic choke

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

With the 235 passenger car engine a Rochester BC carburator is stock.And i want to use it because its a new one.

I started the engine for the first time after the remanufacturing and it runs pretty good, but the carburator is not acting as it should do really?

My question is how to install the short straight tube that goes from the carb side towards the exhaust outlet and should catches the heating that effects the carb autmatic choke? Pictures are very welcome.

Thanks Martinius.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Missing Parts

Martinus ;

What you need is called a " Choke Stove " , it's a little sheet metal plate that attaches to the side of the exhaust manifold and has a small hole for the tube that goes up to the bi-metallic spring in the choke heating chamber .

If you look up the 1962 passenger car carby section in The Old Car Shop Manual Project OnLine , it'll have pictures you can copy then know what to look for....

Adjust the choke cover in the early morning when it's stone cold , throttle open , turn the bakelite cover until the choke valve _barely_ closes , that's it .

Once it's hooked up and the choke is correctly adjusted , follow the correct cold starting drill : engine cold , depress the throttle to the floor _once_ and release , DO NOT touch it as you crank the engine , it'll instantly start and continue running . of you touch the throttle , it'll die and not have a fast idle .

3. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Rochester BC carburator

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Easter Greetings !

Old peter Cottontail ? yes , some here still belive in him...

I hope you get this well sorted as having your StoveBolt roar into life in 40° F
    weather is always nice....

Few ever follow the correct starting drill but it works .