Steering Column Wiring Question

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Texas53, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Texas53

Texas53 Member

For my project truck, I have what I believe is a mid 80s S-10 steering column. It's a tilt column with automatic shifter and a multi-function arm that controls turn signals, wipers, and cruise. I am trying to figure out the wiring with my ohm meter and searching the web. I think I have most things figured out except for two wires (one is light green, the other is tan). I am hoping someone here knows what these are.

Yellow: Left Rear turn
    Dk Green: Right Rear turn
    White: Brake switch
    Purple: Turn signal switch
    Brown: Hazards
    Dk Blue: Right front turn
    Lt Blue: Left front turn
    Black: Horn
    Lt Green: ????
    Tan: ????

White/Purple/Gray: these three wires are together and seem connected to the wiper switch.

Thick black: this one has a special key like connector at the end and I am guessing is for the cruise control.

By process of elimination, every function on the column seems to be covered except for the windshield washer switch. However, when I hook up to these wires and activate the washer switch, nothing.

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

you didn't say if you knew which wire was for the wipers...i believe the washer fluid is controlled by the wiper delay module...if your column has delay wipers....also being that it is an automatic column...perhaps one of those wires is for a park safety switch? just some ideas anyway..

3. Texas53

Texas53 Member

Thanks. There is a separate group of three wires (white/purple/gray) which I think are for the wipers. Not sure which is which yet, but when I ohm these out, I am able to see a response when I change the wiper switch. It's just three wires, but I guess it's possible they can control the wiper speed, delay, and the washer fluid.

Good suggestion regarding the park safety switch. But that looks to be a different switch at the bottom of the column that also detects when the shifter is in the reverse position. This switch has external connections so don't believe it is routed up through the column and back out.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep snooping. If worse comes to worse, I can pull the steering wheel and try to physically trace the green and tan wires.

4. vsekrey

vsekrey Member

wires

They would no be used for the cruise control would they?

5. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi, the tan wire goes to the driver door jamb switch and the Lt green goes to a buzzer in the convenience center. Otherwise,known as the you left your key in the ignition buzzer. hope that helps you.

Vince