Fuel Pump Troubles

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by smfulle, Apr 9, 2008.

1. smfulle

smfulle Member

I’m having trouble with a fuel pump on a small block. I bought a 59 pickup that has had the 6 cylinder replaced with a V-8 by the previous owner when he was in high school in the early 90’s. The guy I got it from couldn’t give me much info on the motor except “I think it’s a 327 we got it out of an old Nova or something. Maybe around a 68.”
    The fuel pump wouldn’t pump so I went down to my local AutoZone and we looked at a bunch of different pumps until we found one that looked just like the one I pulled out. I installed it and the truck ran for about 3 minutes. I pulled the pump out and it was broken inside so that the lever was loose and did no pumping. I took it back to AutoZone and got another of the same pump, reinstalled it, and the truck ran for about 6 minutes this time. No fuel again. I haven’t pulled the pump out yet, but I’m pretty sure that I’ve busted another one. Has anyone had these types of problems before? Any ideas? I thought of going to an electric pump and that may be where I’m headed, but I would like to know if I’m doing something wrong that is breaking these pumps. I haven’t worked on a Chevy for many years and if I recall correctly when I replaced the fuel pump on my mom’s 63 Impala station wagon when I was 15 I had to do that twice too. I bent the fuel pump push rod that time.

2. Vin63

Vin63 Member

It sounds like there is something damaging the pump arm. IMO, I would install a fuel pump block plate and go the electric fuel pump route. On another forum, a guy had mentioned how his fuel pressure from his mechanical pump would be around 3.5 psi and drop to 3.0 psi at open throttle, and he had hesitation. I had suggested an electric fuel pump, citing fuel pressure fluxuations have significant negative affects, despite the many nay sayers saying the pressure drop was only marginal and didn't think it would help. Low and behold, his fuel pressure went to 7 psi and all hesitation went away with the electric fuel pump...funny how that works.

Also, this way if you step up in your performance, a good electric fuel pump will better support your HP increases.

3. smfulle

smfulle Member

Turns out the AutoZone guy and I didn't look closely enough at the pumps and got one with a lever that was just a fraction too long and so it kept busting up. Got the right one now and the thing works great!!