2 speed Powerglide trans

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by 58 Chevy pickup, Feb 8, 2005.

1. 58 Chevy pickup

58 Chevy pickup Member

I am in the process of rebuilting my 58 chevy 1/2 ton stepside shorty from the ground up that I've own now for over twenty years. I'm getting close to choosing the trans for the truck and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. First the truck had a 235 engine and 3 speed standard trans. I'm replacing the engine with a rebuilt 58 chevy 283 and have the option of putting in a 2 speed powerglide, 350 auto trans or turbo 400. I'm going to keep the orginal rear in for right now. I know everyone puts in later model auto trans, but I was thinking it would be neat to have the orginal old style 2 speed auto in the truck. If I go with the 2 speed I can use the front motor mounts and the orginal trans member, if not I'll have to add the side motor and rear trans mounts. Has anyone done this swap and what were the results? Also as soon as it warms up here in Maryland I will be selling off a lot of parts, 235 engine and 3 speed trans(ran good when I took it out 2 years ago), lots of body parts, orginal brake parts and many misc parts that I have collected over the years. I would perfer not to ship parts, but have them picked up. For a list of parts you can Email me at lester@bayengraving.net

2. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

I would suggest the 283 backed up by a 350 turbo, I have found out on my 58 that when you go to a automatic the tranny crossmember will have to be chiesled out and buy a tranny tube crossmember, also if you go to a v-8 DO NOT use the front engine mount set up! I don't know if it was the 400 horses out of a 350 under the hood or not but I tried it this way and ended up snapping a stud on the mounts so I suggest the v-8 tube member- it worked for me w/o any problems, also real easy to put in.

3. DrMike

DrMike Member

I would agree with changing the crossmember for the tranny and engine. There is way too much torque on the engine to use the birdlegs up front. Plus the weight of the engine. Be smart and use the new crossmembers if you are going to use a V8 and aut tranny.

Mike