gm 10 bolt rear gears????????

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by novatoasv, Jan 24, 2005.

1. novatoasv

novatoasv Member

hello, truck has factory rear, 10 bolt. when put in drive, rear end goes clunk. both u joints very ok, rear end slop??? could the problem be corrected by putting in kit for all 4 side gears and shims???

any one ever done this before??, tell me your experience.

should i use the 85w 140 rear oil and suggested by kit manufacturer.?? kit from randy's driveline.

haven't torn apart yet. what also, should i look for,inside rear to determine the clunk. rear is very driveable other than cluck. will also replace axle brgs after tear down. novatoasv

78 truck 355-81 350 motor,headers, duals, needs bed floor.
    89 tbi truck,
    62 144comet, 4door

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

yeah you can use 85-140 gear oil, Thicker oil can help with the severity of the clunk... use 85-140 synthetic. the clunk is probably in the spider gears and pin...gotta rebuild the whole diff to get rid of the slack. if it's not set up properly you can toast a diff in minutes....

3. bigblue87

bigblue87 Member

Yes i agree with Heavy86Chevy that the spider gears could be going up but another possibility is a tooth or more missing on the ring and pinion gears. And my with the shims and redoing the rear. It is a difficult task that normally requires a guage that measures the play in the gears.