Windshield rubber tip

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Jul 23, 2008.

1. coilover

coilover Member

I had the retired glass shop man come to my shop to put a windshield and rear glass in a 63 we have in the shop. The 63 is the last year with a wrap around windshield which are trickier to install than other types. I usually haven't paid much attention to his work since he's good at it and did it for 47 years but, there has been much discussion on this so I watched closely this time. Once the windshield was in he slapped it many times to seat it (hard enough to make me cringe) and then where there were wrinkles at the corners he gripped the lipped over rubber flange on the inside of the cab with a 3/4" or so duckbill pliers and pulled the heck out of it. In this case it did away with the wrinkles on the outside without creating any on the inside but he said that wasn't always the case. He used nothing in the glass groove but filled the groove with sealer that exists between back side of the glass channel and the outer rubber flange. When seated some sealer squished out in a few places but was easily wiped off with a cloth wet with PPG 330 wax and grease remover that doesn't harm the paint. It's interesting to watch someone good at their job and I could just see myself either cracking the glass or pulling a hunk out of the rubber with the pliers.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What EvanSaid ~

The slapping is done wit the palm of your hand and always strike the glass at an angle in the direction you want the glass to move....

So far I've never broken a glass and as the years go by , I also slap them silly
    Those dog leg windshields are a bugger , I don't do 'em .

3. brit 50

brit 50 Member

I keep repeating myself!

As i said before........treat it like your woman:cool:

4. sweet50

sweet50 Member

Hahahaha :D Ain't that the truth?

5. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

I agree, it's fun to watch a skilled artisan work his magic. That is why when I'm ready to install all my glass I'll call the expert.