1987 V10 Fuel pump problem

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 874x4tigerfan, Mar 1, 2005.

1. 874x4tigerfan

874x4tigerfan Member

My '87 Silverado 4X4, 350 V-8, TH350 tranny has a fuel pump issue. I just changed the pump and it started and ran great for 20-30 minutes. Then it would not start at all. I pulled the fuel line off just before the filter and while cranking the engine, there was no fuel dripping from the line. When I turn the key on, I do hear the pump running but no fuel is coming through the line.

My question is: Is there a fuel pressure regulator on this truck? If so, where is it located and could this be the problem?
    The truck does have dual tanks and the RH tank has never been used, or so it seems.Could the auxilary tank have a pump as well? There is the odor of bad gas in that tank. Could this gas be getting into the main line and causing problems?

If I pour gas in the TBI, the truck will start long enough to burn that gas out. I may be overlooking something so if anyone has any thoughts they would be highlt appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. 83silverado

83silverado Member

First your pressure regulator is part of the TBI so I don't think
    that is your problem. Being a dual tank truck both of your tanks have
    pumps. I would check your tank differential valve as well. listen
    to see if its switching to let fuel flow. I'm sure you've replaced
    the fuel filter but if not, maybe its restricted. Just some ideas
    hope this helps.

3. kwyble

kwyble Member

I had my 87 die on me this winter on the way to work. With the dual tank system there is a valve hooked up to the tank switch. It is located near the rear of the cab on the passenger side frame rail. Try turning the key on and putting you hand on it. If it is getting hot it's not able to switch properly and is bound up.
    It think that's what the problem is.

4. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi, When you replaced the pump in the tank, did you put anew sock(Filter) on the fuel pick-up in the tank also?

Vince