New motor, stock gauges....???

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by audioclass, Sep 28, 2006.

1. audioclass

audioclass Member

Ok I have successfully removed the 283/powerglide combo from my 63 LB fleet. I'm putting the ZZ4 crate in along with a 700r4 i had built locally. My question is!!! As far as the gauges go, will the stock gauges work with the new motor? Like the temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge. Will the oil pressure tubing and fittings transfer over to the ZZ4? And for the temp gauge, do I need to save the sender/thermostat from the 283, or can I purchase a new one? Any links or product recomendations would be awesome. If I can't save them I'm going to have to order new gauges and a little underdash mount, leaving the stock gauges dead, but it would be cool to use the existing gauges.

Thanks in advance for replies!!

-Beau

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Yes they will work. Save the old temp sender and use that one. The oil sender ( or tube ) will go right where the old 283 had it's opening, right to the left of the distributor.
    When I did my 350 HO / 700 R/4 swap I used an under dash setup only because I wanted to keep close tabs on things. I also, and would recommend, that you install a trans temp guage. Heat is the enemy of transmissions and the temp guage will let you know early if something is going wrong.

Val

3. 283 man

283 man Member

Hey Audioclass,I would be very interested in your powerglide transmission if you still have it would like to do some trading with you .THANKS

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  4. audioclass

audioclass Member

Bad news 283 man, I'm actually selling it to the guy who did the work on my 700r4. He traded me some labor for it, so its taken. Sorry :(

DVal, thanks for that info, I was actually considering just going with newer gauges. Did you go with mechanical gauges or electric sending units? I was considering purchasing an electric half-sweep temp gauge, as well as oil pressure gauge and trans temp gauges, all electric half-sweep as well. I'm not to familiar with the connections and sending units though, are they difficult to install?

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I went with electric sending units. I like to keep scalding hot fluids OUT of the cab ! ;)

I also used them because I planned on using a new guage cluster in the next phase of the project,,, which I did at the beginning of this year.

[​IMG]

Val