TIPS ON DOOR SKIN INSTALLATION

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by 327pup, Sep 7, 2002.

1. 327pup

327pup Member

WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO BEND THE END OF THE DOOR SKIN ON EITHER END OF THE DOOR? I'M WORKING ON A 55 1ST.ALL ADVISE GREATLY APPRECIATED.THANKS

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-02 AT 02:14 PM (CST)]DOORSKIN REMOVAL TOOL
    $ 79.99
    Item-no 31017

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com

Oops... just noticed that you wanted to "install" not remove....

3. oldblu

oldblu Member

To remove the skin take a grinder and grind off the outside edge all around the door. Drill any spot welds and grind flat. To put it on you need to hammer it on. There are door skinning hammers out there.
    Mine is a Martin and I think I paid about $35 for it. Now I have found that if you use a hard rubber sanding block as a dolly on the other side you will not ding up the good side as bad as you would if you use a steel dolly. I have never put a skin on an old truck so I don't know how easy it would be. I have skinned a lot of newer cars and I know it is hard work. It depends on how thick of steel the door skin is made of. But you hold the block on the outside of the door and just hammer it on. Only hit the ouside lip hard enough to fold it over and then flatten it out.

4. 327pup

327pup Member

THANKS FOR THE TIPS THE RUBBER BLOCK WOULD HAVE WORKED BETTER THAN THE STEEL DOLLY.I NEVER DONE ONE BEFORE EITHER BUT IT TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD. I DID THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE BOTH.I HAD TO BUILD BOTH ENDS OF THE DOOR.I STOOD AND STAIRED AT IT FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS BEFORE I GOT THE NERVE UP TO JUMP IN. A SHOT OF WHISKEY MIGHT HAVE HELPED.IT WORKS PRETTTY GOOD ON SNAKE BITES.THE DOOR SKIN I GOT FROM CHEVY DUTY WAS EVERY BIT AS HEAVY AS THE ORIGINAL STEEL AND YOU HAVE TO BEND BOTH ENDS.ITS PRETTY SCARY FOR A BACKYARD BODY MAN.THANKS GUYS