Drum brake problems

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by mittleiderj, Nov 3, 2005.

1. mittleiderj

mittleiderj Member

I recently upgraded the master cylinder to a dual bowl on my sons 1960 C10. I had a lot of trouble bleeding the system but did eventually get the brake system to work (although admittedly not very well) I think I may have posted to this list at the time with a lot of questions.

Well its happening again. this time the right front wheel cylinder blew (due to the star adjuster backing off all the way). I have replaced all the springs, star adjuster on both front brakes. I also put speed bleeders on all four brakes. I have been trying to bleed the system with no success. I have run nearly a gallon of brake through the master cylinder trying to get the pedal to pump up. When I pump the pedal I can hear the fronts groaning but they don't seem to engage. Road test reveal the backs will lock-up sometimes but mostly the truck just coasts to a stop.

Anybody have some experience with this problem? Are these speed bleeders worthwhile? Thanks for any help.

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

66 KUSTOM
    IM ASSUMING YOU ADDED NEW FRONT BRAKE LINES TO THE BRAKE SYSTEM. MY FIRST QUESTION IS DID YOU ADD A PROPORTIONING VALVE AFTER THE MASTER. IF SO WHAT MIGHT BE HAPPENING IS WHEN YOU BLOW A SLAVE CYCLINDER, THE PROPORTIONING VALVE MAY HAVE A SHUT OFF VALVE INSIDE WHICH WILL SHUT OFF THE FLUID FLOW TO THE END OF VEHICLE THAT HAS A BLOWN CYLINDER. IN YOUR CASE YOU BLEW A FRONT SO THE VALVE IS ONLY ALLOWING FLOW TO THE REAR BRAKES. REPLACE YOUR CYLINDER, RELEASE PRESSURE TO THE REAR AND START BLEEDING EVERYTHING AGAIN STARTING FROM THE FURTHAST CYLINDER FROM THE MASTER TO THE CLOSEST CYLINDER TO THE MASTER. ALSO WHEN BLEEDING MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST YOUR BRAKE SHOES FIRST. WHILE IN THE AIR SPIN YOUR TIRE, ADJUST STAR UNTIL YOU FEEL A SLIGHT DRAG. WHEN YOU BLEED WATCH THE FLUID COME OUT AND SEE IF THERES AIR, IF NO AIR, AND STILL NO PRESSURE AT THE PEDAL YOU MAY NEED TO ADJUST THE STARS MORE, ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SHOES. THERE ARE DIFFERENT SIZES AND IF YOUR SHOES ARE EVEN ONE SIZE SMALLER YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO ADJUST AND GET THE PRESSURE YOU NED. IF YOU DONT HAVE A PROPORTIONING VALVE, YOUR GETTING TO MUCH PRESSURE TO ONE AND NOT ENOUGH TO THE OTHER.

GOOD LUCK.