57 Truck subframe

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by azsnow, Nov 16, 2008.

1. azsnow

azsnow Member

So I just dragged my 57 into the garage, and started to take it appart. Man did I get hosed! For $500 what I got is a complete mess! First off, not going to use the cab, as I have a big window to replace it, second, the front sheet metal is full of Bondo, third the bed is in rough shape, and I have one off of a 62 GMC that is in way better condition, and last but not least, the frame has been chopped and rewelded infront of the front crossmember, and crappy weld job at that! This means that the front portion of the leafsprings are bolted up to the welded portion, and this is not even lined up!

So now to try and salvage this truck. I figured, I have several options:
    1. try to save the original frame (by the time I invest money into it to correct this problem, I could have had IFS)

2. Swap the truck onto my '62 GMC frame (besides the mounting locations, the suspension is still outdated)

3. Use the front subframe from a 74 GMC truck (Not sure if this will work, I think it might though)

4. Subframe swap from a 74-81 Camaro

5. Subframe from a Monte Carlo or other G body.

What do you guys think?

Thing that pisses me off the most, is that I already have a disk brake conversion kit for the straight axle! Oh well, Ebay here it comes I guess!

2. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Bummer I Guess, But What did You get for 500 Dollars ? Have any pics ? Just curious Because I seen a pair of 57s, short narrow beds go for 4 grand Yesterday . I Doubt was in any better shape as You Are talking about. No Titles, No Drive trains. & Most of the Glass was Either broke Or Useless Plus Missing parts & More then the Usuall rust.

As far as the frame I,d go with The Older camero Stub, if You can find one. about the Easiest I,ve seen to install, But Try to get the Rearend also, so You have the same Track width .

Or Go for an S10 chassis if You can get a good deal on one. But it all takes work . As I,m sure your aware of . I,m Sure more Here Know Way more then I.

But I DO Know 500 bucks dont Buy much these days. How much did You pay for the disk brake Conversion if You dont mind Me asking ? & Best of luck to You.

3. azsnow

azsnow Member

I took the truck to the DMV, and now have a bonded title. There is a small block sitting between the rails, not sure if its any good yet, a 12 bolt out back, and not much more, except a ton o rust.

Attached Files:

4. azsnow

azsnow Member

The disk brake conversion was around $400

5. wave1957

wave1957 Member

another idea...

Since you kind of start with not much, you may want to consider this, a whole chassis that was built to work as one unit, all the parts from the same vehicle and certainly reliable, sturdy and comfy...

http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/1955.htm

6. azsnow

azsnow Member

The only problem I see with tese kits is the prce. First I have to get a chasis, then I must buy the kit for what looks like around $1500. I figure I could have a Camaro subframe installed, and rebuilt for around $500.

7. jaybyrd66

jaybyrd66 Member

from what i see you didnt do too bad for $500. i didnt get much more then that when i bought my 66. hell i didnt even have an engine in it and the body is full of rust, it needs new fenders, doors, cab corners and rockers. i paid $450 for it

66chevy.jpg

8. Coronas56

Coronas56 Member

I did a camaro subframe with 4 link, Changed my mind, went with Corvette front and rear end,,,, Still in the works, winter put a stop to it.......Check the pics out in my profile.......

9. azsnow

azsnow Member

Ok, here is the latest in the truck chasis saga!

I have aquired a 81 Z28 that I will be using the front clip and rear end from.

Updates as I start the process!

10. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Hey,

Glade to hear you got it under control.The truck subs are to wide but the camaros are just right.I have installed so many i could do them in my sleep.If you are going to install it your self measure a millon times and measure the wheel base from back to front center of the wheels it should be 113 inches.Would like to see updates of your truck.

Cliff

11. azsnow

azsnow Member

Good, then you will be a source of information when I hit a snag or two during the process! Thanks in advance!

12. Coronas56

Coronas56 Member

Model: 3100 Series
    Body Style: 2-door 1/2-ton Stepside Pickup
    Engine: 265 cubic-inch, OHV V8, 162-horsepower
    Transmission: 3-speed manual with overdrive
    Suspension: Straight I-beam front axle with multiple semi-elliptic leaf springs, multiple semi-elliptic leaf rear with tubular shock absorbers at each wheel
    Frame: Box girder ladder-type, 114-inch wheelbase, 3,217 pounds, 5,000 pounds gross vehicle weight

13. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

I would be glad to help just shoot me a line.:D

14. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

It says that but when you measure center to center it some times is 113 1/2 or 113 or 114 or 114 1/2.My 55 gmc said 114 and was 113.So you need to measure before you start and put it back to that measurement.Because they tweeked the front i beam to align it and it is different from left side to right side some times because of that.My 59 i restored ( the green fleetside) is 112 15/16 on one side and 113 1/4 on the other so measure to be safe.

Cliff

15. azsnow

azsnow Member

I have the front end of an 81 Z28 tacked under the front of my truck, have been waiting for my brother to finish it up since December!

16. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Hey,

Did you get it welded to your truck yet?

Cliff

17. azsnow

azsnow Member

The frame is still sitting in the same place, waiting to be finished. My brother isn't very reliable, and I am about to snag it from him and have someone else do the welding. The main problem I have is that I don't have anyplace to store it, or else it would already be finished!

18. dannyleach

dannyleach Member

113 1/2

my 57 came in at 113 1/2 when I slid my buick clip into place - don't forget your plans for the back end and how much you want the truck to slant - you want the front wheels in the center of the wells all said and done

for the most part, the powerband really resides in the drive train.........

if you get a chance, post some pictures here

Danny

19. fourwheeler57

fourwheeler57 Member

I guess it would depend on how you plan to use your truck. I myself, use mine as trucks, so I'd go with the 88-99 complete chassis, shortend to fit of course.

If you use it as an "attention getter", then I'd use the Camaro clip. A friend has done several, and it works well. In fact, he uses the whole car, front clip, rear end, pedals, wiring harness, I mean everything.

I don't think the S10 is recommended, though.

20. bjarvisclan

bjarvisclan Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009