trans question help

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 654x4, Jul 26, 2008.

1. 654x4

654x4 Member

i put a 350 motor and a 700r4 trans in a 65 pickup. motor runs fine but the trans will shift sometimes and other times it seems it is stuck in high. i put a new front and rear seal in a new filter and a new shifter and i put the new cable from trans to carb. can anybody lead me in the right direction. i forgot when it seems its stuck in high gear it shakes the trans a makes weird noise. i havent driven it since it started doing this fourtunately i was only 2 blocks from home

2. greg65

greg65 Member

Did you have adjust the kickdown cable? When i got my 700r4 the trans guy told me to bring the truck by and he adjusted it for me. I was told it not done correctly it could burn up your transmission.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

For the record, it's not a kickdown cable like the TH350 and others. It's called a TV Cable, ( wierd huh ?) and yes, it will roast a brand new trans if not adjusted properly.

http://www.700r4.com

Check the link above and read every word of TV Cable 101. Then if read it again !!! In a few words, shifting in the 700 is controlled by that cable regulating pressure in the trans...

Val

4. greg65

greg65 Member

Val i stand corrected. Was not sure of the name of the cable. My truck has been apart for a few years. I knew that the cable also controls the down shifts. Looks like i'm showing my age with my fading memory.

5. joe231

joe231 Member

does it have a lock up converter? the symptoms you are describing sound like the lock up converter isn't disengaging, causing the shake and it will also kill the engine if you try to stop with it engaged, how did you wire up the converter?

6. 654x4

654x4 Member

i havent done anything accept the tv cable and the lines and the drive shaft after that im totally lost. what wiring could you please explain

7. joe231

joe231 Member

if you have a lock up converter you have to wire it to engage at highway speed and dis-engage so you can stop. lots of info on the web, the link Dval posted and THIS LINKY are only scratching the surface

8. 654x4

654x4 Member

ok their is a plug in on the left front of trans (4 prongs) what and where do i plug too. or is this done internally

9. greg65

greg65 Member

Look at painless wiring. They have a kit for this purpose. My transmission is a non computer controlled unit. I had a problem with the converter locking up in city traffic. With the big camshaft the truck would start jumpimg until i pressed the brake. My transmission guy told me to put a toggle switch in line. So while driving at highway speeds i could turn the switch on and let the converter lock up. hope it helps.

10. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Yup !! That's most likely the problem.. BowTie Overdrive, Painless, and others have a kit that needs to be installed on non-ECI (computer) equipted cars/trucks. You "can" wire in a manual switch to lock/unlock the converter but I would not recommend it. ( I'm lazy as well as forgetful and would likely not remember to unlock it when needed. )

Val

11. greg65

greg65 Member

At the time my trans was built, painless was the only company that offered a kit. That was back in 1997. After the trans shop was done with it the only thing i had to do was install the new brake lamp switch and the vacuum supply. The only time i turned the switch was over 60 mph. Four gears was plenty for me around town.

12. 654x4

654x4 Member

ok guys d-val joe231 greg65 thanks for the information. went to link read up on this trans. did the process of elimination, asked a few trans guys. the problem was the tv plunger was stuck. had to remove the valve body clean the tv plunger replace a return spring and we shift again. i have the wiring on order for the converter and will install soon

thanks again

13. greg65

greg65 Member

Glad i could help. The overdrive is so nice while on the highway. The lower first gear is pretty cool as well. Hope to see more pictures of your project.

14. joe231

joe231 Member

no problem.......
    i hope to do this swap soon, so i may need some pointers, you can return the favor.

by the by...you ever get that parts truck with the factory A/C???