Power Brake Setups?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by grayhitandmiss, Mar 14, 2004.

1. grayhitandmiss

grayhitandmiss Member

Have drum brakes on the front and rear of my 64 Chevy 1/2 ton.
    I want to purchase a power booster brake set up, but just as soon buy the disc / drum master cylinder/ booster setup, in case I decide to upgrade to front disc brakes.... if this setup will work on my all drum brake truck. I talked to the folks at #####.com, and they say their disc / drum booster will work. All I have to do is remove the proportional valve. Otherwise they say that the disc / drum setup has a bigger reservoir than their drum / drum booster setup.
    Does anyone know if I'm going to have any problems, ie., stopping, if I use a disc / drum setup, on my drum / drum truck?
    ================
    Have see this at online regarding a residual valve
    that makes me wonder if things will work out!
    http://www.mpbrakes.com/mpfaqmasters.htm

A drum brake master will differ from a disc brake master in two ways. The amount of fluid that a drum brake master has to move is less than disc brake. Drum brake masters have 10 lb residual valves at the outlet to keep a residual pressure on the drums. If you use a drum brake master for disc brakes you would move an insufficient volume of fluid and the disc brakes would drag because of the residual valves.
    ==============
    Any help much appreciated,
    Thanks, Tom