Looking for a gas tank

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by dngaspersich, Sep 8, 2006.

1. dngaspersich

dngaspersich Member

Just wondering if anybody knows where I can find a repop or n.o.s. gas tank for my 1950 3100 5 window. Sounds simple but this truck is a bit of a Frankenstein or just unusual. VIN number says it is a 1950, and it does not have lever action shocks. The gas tank is located under the bed & fills through hole in bed side like a '47-'48. The engine was a '47 216, and the cab has no provisions for a tank behind seat. The inner cab corner extends from the seam below corner windows all the way to the floor. I can likely say that the cab is a 47 or 48 and frame is a 50 or later. Being in the rust belt the tank is Swiss cheese under (over?) the straps. Seems like everybody is selling the in cab style tank but not O.E. under bed type tank. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Anybody know of a source for one? Dave

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Dave, you might try Chevs of the 40's and Obsolete Chevrolet Parts Co. I looked in both catalogs this morning and both had underbed tanks. Their websites are www.chevsofthe40s.com and www.obschevy.com Happy hunting.

3. dngaspersich

dngaspersich Member

Thanks, Ken....I couldn't find one in the Obsolete Chev parts online catalog. I did find one at Chev's of the 40s. They get a pretty penny for one as they are made from stainless steel. Anyway you got me pointed in the right direction. They list it as the same tank found in a panel up 'til 1953. Never thought to look at one of those in the boneyard. Thanks again...Dave

4. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Let me know if you find someone who makes new ones please, im after getting the tank out of the cab and under the bed.

Thanx Neil
    ________
    Lamborghini Lm004 Specifications

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Gas Tank ReNu

Dave ;

Carefully take the remainder of your old tank to a Gas Tank ReNu franchise and let them give it a try ~ I dunno how they do it but they're good for saving unobtanium tanks , should be listed in the 'phone book .

6. brit 50

brit 50 Member

I saw the web site for chevs of the 40s and tanks inc have some too, listed as underbed tanks, picture for the panel and coe looks exactly same as the rear of chassis tanks, I would like one that fits in chassis in the passenger side as in your case dngaspersich.

Anyone ever bought one of these steel (not stainless) tanks?????

Neil
    ________
    Airwave

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  7. dngaspersich

dngaspersich Member

Nate, Thanks for the tip...there is a Tank Renew place not too far from my place, I'll have them scope it out to see if it is salvageable. Dave

Neil, you have one more problem than I do. Not only do you need the tank, you need the bracketry to hold it tight. I have'nt seen any reproductions of it either. They are pretty stout so should be usable if you find a donor vehicle. The filler neck is different but should be no problem to fabricate. Dave