1951 3100 or 3600

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bryan, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Bryan

Bryan Member

Hello all,
    I am new here. Just traded my brother for his 51 3100 or 3600. I have a few questions.

1. Does the 3100 have side vents behind the front fenders or is it a 3600 3/4 ton? It is not a five window

2. Can anyone tell me where I may find a 216 in the colorado area. The original engine has a thrown rod and and I am not sure if it went through the block or the pan. I would like to find a running one though.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
    Bryan

2. ropo355

ropo355 Member

colorado engines

Bryan, I've seen some late 235's on craiglist in the Denver area. Much better engine. Ron

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Welcome Bryan!

The easiest way to tell the difference would be the wheelbase. 3100 will be 116 in. and the 3600 will be 125 in.

4. drummin52

drummin52 Member

you can also look the bed to tell, on the 3/4 tons there is 3 bed post on each side (1 on each end and 1 in between towards the front). The 1/2 tons only have 2 posts on each side, no middle post.

another way to tell as well if everything is still stock, 3/4 tons have 8 lug wheels and 1/2 tons have 6 lug wheels.

5. drummin52

drummin52 Member

I also agree on the 235, as well as a 261. If your not going for competely stock the 235 or 261 is a great upgrade.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

3/4 ton....3600
    [​IMG]

1/2 ton..3100
    [​IMG]

Also, the 3/4 ton will have 8 lug wheels, 1/2 ton is 6 lugs.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

If you dont want stock consider the 292. It has HEI distributor and hydraulic lifters. The original 216 is nice if you like to spend time adjusting stuff.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

WELCOME Bryan !

Your best bet is to find a Hot Rodder who's yanked out a good running 235 , it'll be a true bolt up , just clean it and re-paint before installation and you're good to go .

Search the older classifieds in that section of this site , go back two or THREE years as NO ONE wants the stock engines (they rarely break) so you can always find a good one for no more than $200.00 fan to clutch with ALL acessories included .

measure both flywheels and use the bigger one for lifetime clutch life .

Please post up some pix when you get a chance , unrestored , we love those the best ! :D .

9. Bryan

Bryan Member

Thank you all for your help. I will take some pictures this weekend. vwnate1 if I go with a 235 will I need to replace or move the motor mounts. Will the motor match up with the transmission? If it will I will do that. A little more power is better. I do not want to turn it into a Rod. I like the original.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bryan

As one who's been running 235's since I was a farm kid in the 1960's , and logging more cross coutry miles with 235's in work vehicles than anyone you'll meet , I heartily endorse the upgrade to a 235 .

If you get one that's a takeout , it'll bolt right in , no mods necessary .

If you get one from a Task Force ('55 ~ '62) you'll need to swap the front moto plate over , there's a few old posts about the how to's .

In fact , there's a NOOB post I just read , the fella wants to chop up Grampa's old truck with a V-ate :( he'll have an old InLine 6 Banger for sale soon .

11. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

that's me!

Bryan, where do you call home and what's your time frame? There is an outside chance that I'll be able to pull the I6 this summer for you. I am also going to use a Saginaw 3-speed, so you can have the tranny too. Engine has fired up immediately every summer after sitting for seven months through the winter...I certainly understand why you guys keep 'em! You can't shift into granny gear while the engine is running, but if you start it in low with the clutch depressed it works just fine. Would at least make a good spare or donor for ya.

Sorry vwnate, I'm as passionate about my sbc as you are about the 235!:D

Paul

12. Bryan

Bryan Member

I live Near Tiny Town Colorado, just out side denver. Summer sound fine with me. Where are you located and how much do you want for it? Road trips are always an adventure. Get to look at all the hidden goodies in rural America. Thank you all for your help. This is a great site

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  13. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

Beautiful country out there. Should be about 11 hours from here-745 miles.

If you're serious about traveling to Allendorf a suburb of Ocheyedan, Iowa 51354, I can only ask $100 for the motor, tranny, and any other goodies that I may not be needing.

Let's keep in touch...I'm not sure what my schedule is going to look like, have a lot of irons in the fire right now. My 2 & 3 yr old boys don't allow me much time to play with big boy toys either.

14. Bryan

Bryan Member

Sounds like a plan...

15. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

When considering engines and if one wanted to be different, don't forget Olds made a 250 that has probably the best heads.

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Crashbox Trannies

Well Paul ;

If you grew up on non synchromesh trannys then yes , it is possible to shift into low (or any unsynchronized) gear easily... going up or down . it's called ' Double Clutching ' or as the young pups once said after watching me do my thing on a loaded rig in the mountains " dang Nate , you've got Happy Feet ! " .

Don't apologize for loving the World beating SBC engine , it's a good 'un .

I just prefer InLine design is all .

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  17. Wolf

Wolf Member

if you go through kc, then give me a shout. my family lives in nw kansas, so i am familiar with the denver area. but im in kansas city now, so if you make a trip to iowa stop on by!!!

Brian

18. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

ol chebby

what rear end do you have under your 1/2 ton???
    btt both of your trucks are very nice.
    Thanks
    Robert

19. Bryan

Bryan Member

The stock original. I am not sure of the gearing. I was to go and pick it up over the weekend but brother had other plans. He has the original manual so he says. After I pick it up I will post pics so you all can see my up and coming headache. I am looking forward to the restoration though. All I have is time.

20. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I now have a 95 t-bird independant rear. I was running a f***8.8 from a 90 lincoln town car.