66 Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by jeremy, Nov 30, 2000.

1. jeremy

jeremy Member

I am wanting to convert the front drum brakes on a 1966 Chevy Fleetside truck to disc brakes. I understand that the disc brakes from a 1963 through a 1970 truck will replace the original spindles with virtually no major modifications. The problem is finding a truck in this year range with disc brakes. Everything I have found has drums. I have located several 1971 and 1972 models with disc brakes and need to know if these models will be an adequate substitute. If so, can anyone tell me what modifications will have to be performed? If these models will not suffice, is there alternative methods of conversion? I have heard that the spindles from an early model station wagon may fit but I don't know what model. Any help with these questons or providing useful information for an upgrade of this magnitude would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

2. Rick

Rick Member

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-00 AT 10:41 AM (CST)[/font][p]Jeremy if you want disc brakes on your truck you can do it one of to ways. You can hunt for the original parts (which is real hard now a days). Or we sell a disc brake conversion kit pt # 71-977 for $99.95. It comes with all the brackets and hardware you need. (except outer wheel bearing which you buy for the year rotor you buy). Calipers and rotors not included. (1973-77 GM midsize rotors and calipers) so you can do this fairly inexpensively

Rick
    tech2@chevyduty.com

3. basketcase

basketcase Member

The reason you didn't find a '63 to '70 pickup with disc brakes is because '71 was the first year. These are a bolt on back to '67. I have heard that the crossmember and complete suspension wiil interchange with yours.Check the older posts in the other sections also because I know this has been discussed. However by the time you rebuild all that old stuff you would be money ahead to use the kit with fresh parts if your suspension is in good condition.

4. jeremy

jeremy Member

Thanks tech2@chevyduty!

5. jeremy

jeremy Member

Thank you for the info!

6. tagjjg

tagjjg Member

Jeremy
    This may be a little late for your conversion, but a 71-72 1/2 ton chevy truck front end will bolt right in were your 66 front end is. 73 thru approx 76 is 5/16 inch different in width so would need to shimed. Our take the spinndle's and roter's and tie rod ends and crosslink will fit be sure to replace your upper and lower ball joints with the year spindles you use.The only thing I had to do to make this work was to use the stactionary (fixed) knuckle on the passenger side frame of the 73 (I used).This required 2 small holes to be drilled to mount this unit. This is best to do with two people. good luck!

I also put power stearing from the same front end on my 66 short wide

feel free to e-mail me at tagjjg@juno.com if I can be of any help