700R4

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by pearldrumbum, Oct 28, 2005.

1. pearldrumbum

pearldrumbum Member

Does anybody have any advice about switching to a 700r4 transmission? What years are good for building up? I've heard mixed opinions about weather the newer ones are computer controlled or not. I want to build it to handle about 500 horsepower. any firsthand advice or links to a good website would be great, thanks!

jesse

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

http://www.700r4.com

READ everything on this site...

Can this trans handle 500 hp ? YES
    But it depends on HOW it is rebuilt.

If you pick up a rebuilt trans the years should not matter. The deficiencies in the earlier models are corrected by a "compentent" " reputibule" rebuilder.

Computer controlled trans are not a problem with a rewire kit from a number of suppliers like TCI or BowTie Overdrives.

This is is very worthwhile upgrade to our trucks that makes driving them a change from a challenge to a pleasure.

DVal

3. pearldrumbum

pearldrumbum Member

Thank you very much for the info! This website helps out a bunch...
    ... and you'd think by now id have the common sense to try www."whateverimlookingfor" .com first, but im not that smart, haha

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

" ... and you'd think by now id have the common sense to try www."whateverimlookingfor" .com first, but im not that smart, "

Me either !! ;)

5. coilover

coilover Member

I used a 700R4 behind a pretty salty engine and the man at TCI said the HP wasn't as much a factor as torque. Mine dynoed at 515 #ft and he said that was right on the edge. Something else he told me was rated stall speed didn't mean much if used behind a low torque engine. I used the non electric trans and after going through a couple $42 normally closed pressure switches(or was it NO?) I found you can use the double brakelight switch from a chevy(suburban in my case) and they last indefinitely. It's been a few years and the wiring diagram I had is long gone but just remember the high dollar pressure switch is not necessary. Good luck

6. drabo

drabo Member

I got a rebuilt 700R4 from Mad Dog Transmissions in Florida. You can find him on ebay. He can build it as tuff as you want it. Also you can't beat his super fast shipping. I ordered mine on Monday and had it on Wensday.

As far as Lock up and non-lock up, I went lock up. It gives you more controll of the tranny. There are many companies that make a harness for vehicles that don't have a computer.

The cost of the upgrade is worth it.

Pete