1965 Chevy Custom Camper

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by jhicken, Oct 25, 2001.

1. jhicken

jhicken Member

I just bought a '65 Custom Camper, (that's what the badge sez). It's a 3/4 ton, long bed fleetside [is this considered a C-20?]. What little I've read is that the suspension is beefier and it came with a V8 [327?]. It's in great shape, very little rust (a few quarter sized blisters in the doors) everything else is pretty clean. It has a three speed on the floor with a granny gear. Can anyone tell me more about how this truck came? Specifics (motor and trans, trim), is this considered unique or common.

This is my first truck, I've always liked the '60 to '66 style trucks. My dad had a '62 when I was about 10, bought it to haul crap around when he was building an addition on the house. Always loved that truck. 30 years later I got one now.

Any book recommendations or resources to restore this beauty? Like any newbee I'm trying to find out as much as I can about this truck. I'd like to know what this was when it rolled off the assembly line before making any modifications or fix's

Any info would be sincerely appreciated.

I'm also looking for any newsgroups or e-mail digests [prefered] on '60 to '66 Chevy trucks. And if there are any clubs or organizations in or arround centeral New Jersey I'd like to find out where they are.

I think that covers it all for my first post.

TIA

jeffrey

2. ChevroletC10

ChevroletC10 Member

Well if I understand correctly, the 327 wasn't offered in C20's until 1966 although I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first!). So my vote is on the 283. But most custom campers I have seen had aluminum trim down the body from fender to bed and they had "Custom" cab pices directly behind the doors, usually aluminum. If all else fails, pull your seat forward and look for the build sheets between the springs and cushion foam. If the truck hasn't been re-upholstered they'll be there, maybe in pieces. These should have codes for trim, axle, tires etc... and can be really informative about your truck. Hope some of this helps!

Leon

3. jhicken

jhicken Member

Thanks for the reply. Your right, unless it's been changed, it's probably a 283. It still has the original upholstery (vinyl and fabric) so I'll check behind the seat for more secrets. I've only had it three days so I'm still uncovering things. As for the trim, it has the Custom Camper badge on the fender, the "Custom" trim piece on the cab but not the side pieces. It has been repainted so I guess it's possible that the holes were filled, I'll take a closer look. It's got standard aftermaket truck mirrors, and it looks like it originally came with a different style because I see that some holes were filled on the top of the door frame.

Again, thanks for the reply, every little bit helps.

jeffrey

4. Craig

Craig Guest

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-01 AT 09:15 AM (CST)]The C-20 could have come with a 283 or the 327.The code for the 327 with a manual transmission is YS.They also had powerglides in some of them.The custom camper was usually sold with a slide in camper.The truck probably didn't have the side trim,as it was ommitted to keep cost down.There should be some numbers on the passenger side of the block in front of the head.Get those numbers or the casting number thats on the drivers side at the rear behind the head.Let me know and I'll figure out what size it is.

5. jhicken

jhicken Member

Thanks for the tip about the build sheet. I pulled the seat out this weekend and found what was left of the original build sheet. The truck is similar to how it came from the factory. A 175hp 327 V8, 4speed, C-20, off white, custom options (lighter, cloth interior, passenger visor and door handle lock). Unfortunatly the sheet was in pretty bad shape so I couldn't get all the info. But I did get what I wanted though.

Again, thanks for the tip.

jeffrey

6. ChevroletC10

ChevroletC10 Member

Glad it worked out for you! I pulled my sheet out in about 20 pieces so I'm lucky to have found any info at all!

7. Mufdver8

Mufdver8 Member

Chevy camper

I inherited my dads 65 camper. Unfortunately my brother wanted customize it and tore off all the og trim:(...and he trashed the cab lights. I'm looking for cab lights but can't find any. Mine has the granny gear too.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

9. coilover

coilover Member

From way back in the dark corners of my foggy brain it recalls that the Camper Specials had leaf springs. Maybe all 3/4T did. I just remember they were kind of like a Chevy body sitting on a GMC chassis.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brothers ! Gotta LOVE 'Em *but*

Brothers ~ sheesh :rolleyes: .

My idiot middle Brother got Pops 1937 Bently St. James Coupe in 1968 and left it in an unheated garage in January in up state (Rochester) New York with plain water in the cooling system , of course a 1" hole popped out of the unobtanium cylinder head when it froze so they junked it (sob) , not allowing me to ever touch it .

I'm the only Mechanically inclined person in my entire Family since my Grandfather (whom I never met) died...

I watched them destroy many things , cars , trucks , Motocycles , anything Mechanical they touched , died .

Being the ' baby of the family ' I wasn't allowed to show them up by showing them how to properly do things .

Family GRRrrr........ I love then yes but frustrating to the extreme so often .

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

3/4 Ton

Evan ; I have seen 3/4 tons rigs both ways , I imagine it depended on the GVWR when it was ordered new .

I can't imagine being happy with coils and a big old Lance Camper out back.... :eek: .

12. Mufdver8

Mufdver8 Member

Chevy camper.

I'm still working on my dad's camper. The camper is in OK to poor shape on the inside. The exterior is the same. Still looking for the cab lights too. My dad had the engine replaced back in the 80's I think from a chavelle... So I'm not sure what kind of engine it has...I think 3-something or other. Mechanics have told me but I would like to know for myself by looking at the engine. Where would I look on the engine to find out for sure? Thanks.