oil pan for 1954 235

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ccharr, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

Hi all,
    I know this should be on the wanted pages however I may need this soon. Does anyone have by chance a oil pan laying aroung which is off a 1954 235? I having to have mine welded up and it is starting to look like they are warping it all out of wack.

Charles
    '48 3804 reg.
    as a '47
    9 foot bed
    By the way an old friend's to this site, is for sale on one of the other lists below a '53

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oh , Boy ~

That's a one year only item IIRC....

I'm sure of you keep hitting up the Pomona Swap Meet you'll find one , many guys there who have HUGE piles of old 6 banger stuff , I always make up a cardboard sign for my back when I need oddball stuff like this .

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Nate,
    Seems the old engine had a 216 pan and not the 54 it had at one time. The 216 pan had 3 or 4 holes in it and we had some brazing done to it. One of the clients at the garage where I'll having the engine rebuilt had another so for now things are back to normal. Hopeful soon I can drive to Quartzite and back with it. Need new tires first and maybe the rear gears changed out. But a good sloww trip east on the 10 and then up to Havasu and back here will be fun.
    Thanks for the reply Nate.

Charles

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well and good Charles .

On that route there should be a long forgotten 1954 235 sitting in a junkpile somewheres...

next time , go to a barrio weld shop and have them weld it as brazing will crack in that application after a while .

I'm sure that guy in Rosamont has one but that's quite a haul .

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Nate,
    Just got my computer back up and running yesterday without any problems messin with me. Posted the last time and the computer froze up and would not unstuck for about an hour started running some free virus checks and found more than 32 nasty bugs in it and the things it was doing was something else. Had to finally take it in to the people I got it from to clean it out and hopefully it doesn’t happen again.
    This afternoon picked up the 47 Chevy from EER engine rebuilders in San Fernando, and it is nice to be able to go down the street without the little smoke trail and it coughing. The shop found a '54 pan for it so no need to hunt any more. Am going down Friday morning to a place called Hoopers Rear end exchange in Sun Valley to see about getting some freeway gears in it.
    Hopefully that will not set me back to much more. Then some tires, was looking at them to night and boy are they old looking.
    Now that I have a motor in the truck which should last some time, I have a 1955, 235, which came out of a 210 sedan. I have a little over $100 in cost, and that is all I want for it.
    So if you know anyone which may need one for that price they can come and get it. I bought it to rebuild and put into the truck however Jerry at EER said the one in the truck would be fixable. So I have this 235 that needs a good home. Boy is this long winded.

6. merlynski

merlynski Member

Is that '55 235 the same as in the '55.2 truck? Is it in a crate or on a pallet that is shippable? I am interested in the motor but am not in California.
    Thanks

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

I honestly have no itea if it is the same engine as the one you stated, I think the truck engines were solid lifter and the cars were hyd. lifters??
    The 235 is not on a pallet or in a create, I do not have the ability to have it ship'd. I'm in the Simi Valley, Ca. area. I bought it in case the engine in my 1947 one ton 3804, could not be rebuilt.
    I do not have any pictures of it or know how to post them on this mediums board. Hope this helps .
    Thanks hope you find what you need.
    Charles

8. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

hey charles
    have you called hoopers rear end exchange yet?
    Let everyone know what they charge to get some highway gears.
    Thanks
    robert

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

Robert,

I have a appointment on Friday and will get back to you when I get back in town then.

Charles

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hoopers

I hope you're rich ! :eek:

Hoopers does pretty good work , they should as they charge almost TWICE what any honest mechanic would :rolleyes:

The only available high speed gears are from Patricks so you might want to check his website first to see how muh markup Hooper's will charge you then they'll of course add some labor...

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

235 Core Engine

Yes , it should be the same engine , triangular side mount bosses , threaded
    and ready to go into your 55.2 .

FWIW , hydraulic lifters in a 235 is always a BAD thing ! always it has been so and 40 years later they _still_ won't work right and furthermore , they'll affect how well the engine runs .

I bet you can do a light overhaul on this engine and have it running As-New again in a jiffy :) slip in a new (NOT re-ground) 261 cam and lifters and you'll love it .

-Nate

12. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Nate, Why are Hyd lifters a bad thing (Question from an idiot rebuilder)?
    Sorry to hear that you are suffering again.
    Glenn

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hydraulic Lifters In A 235

It's not an idiot question Glenn ! .

Here's the deal : the late model , " Full Pressure oiling " 235 C.I. engine is still a 1940's tech engine and the oil pump simply isn't capable of supplying the pressure and qualtity of oil needed to stop the lifters from bleeding down @ idle and clattering like a wind up tin toy :rolleyes:

You can buy a Melling " high pressure " oil pump and it'll be crap , worse than the original one was .

Then , because the valves are all loose and clattery , the engine performance will suffer and you'll beat the cam shaft flat .

It's a loose - loose situation .

If you want a nice quiet Chevy pickup that's fun to drive , my buddy has a 199? 3100 with low miles for cheap .

AD's are vintage machines so learn to accept the fact that valve noise is GM's way of telling you all is well under the hood :p

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Nate,
    Like you I have spinal issues going on and have had two operations.
    I can not do the work anymore and also I do not intend to buy any more tools just so some crackhead can steal them. Rich I'm not it took me 3 years to save for the engine work I just had and it still ran over 700$ more than I had saved. So, I going to take a trip over to hoopers which take about an hour or so on the streets and see what he thinks he can get out of me over the next few months.

I had hyd. lifters put into the 54 engine so I could in time stick on that cliffton speed stuff 6=8, single port fuel injection. Anyway that was may path I was headed on. Did not or have not heard anything negitive about the systems they push so far.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

235 Speed Equipment

A single spitter fuel injector ? must be big , sounds like a good thing to me ~

I actually am very fond of fuel injection as it makes the engine run better , more powerfully and more economically too .

The problem with the long intake runner design of the world beating StoveBolt engine is : the end cylinders always run leaner than the middle ones unless you go to multi port fuel delivery ~ this can mean multi carburation or F.I. ~ I saw one 235 with (?? JEEP ?? I forget) multi port fuel injection , it had 6 injectors and was sweeter than sweet can be .

I'd think three injectors would work just fine , one for each port .

Anyways , go for it but remember : Fenton headers are for _RACING_ only and will reduce tractible horsepoer in daily drivers.... :(

Far better to have a dual outlet exhaust manifold like '54 Corvettes did . NO restrictor plate ! .

Have fun & keep us posted .

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

They have a dual port for the 235 however it is around 4 grand and that will take another 2 or 3 years time frame to save the money. Finally got three photos to post , seems my computer and the dailup is really slow. Takes way to long for me.
    Got to go.
    Charles

17. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

headers

Nate,
    Are the Fenton headers really that bad? I see them used all the time. I love the way they look. I would think as long as they are used with a decent exhaust they would work fantastic. Is the concern lack of backpressure? I am very curious, as I was considering using them, if nothing else, just for the looks.

P.S. Nate, I am still having back issues, and am now being referred to the surgeon, and back to therapy for rotator cuff issues. Damn!

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fuel Injection

Since the head is a three port , how do they fit the two injectors ? in a new intake manifold ? . sounds interesting...

$4,000.00 is _absurd_ ~ JEEP has a retrofit 6 port F.I. system that's _factory_ designed and costs under $2,000.00.....

-Nate

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fenton Headers

Yep , they're really that bad .

The deal is : for driving when you're stopping & starting and going up and down through the gears , you need smooth tractible power from about 1,200 RPM's on up ~ this requires the scavenging effect of a merged exhaust flow (it's more comlicated than this but you get the idea) . Fentons are a divided system designed to increase the maximim flow rate when the engine is wound up tight going full tilt boogie ~ not much use off a racetrack .

Look at early Corvette exhausts ~ it's a one piece cast iron manifold with two outlets and no restrictor plate up inside ~ the only purpose for the separation is to make noise , and power suffers when the exhaust barks .

If you like 'em , go for it , but realize the truck will not be as pleasurable to drive after fittment .

-Nate

20. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Oh well

Theres another couple of lumps of cast iron on my scap pile! Thanx Nate:rolleyes: