Power steering conversion question......

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by omega7979, Nov 29, 2006.

1. omega7979

omega7979 Member

I am using the CP power steering conversion kit for my 51 ......my question is about the steering box...I understand that the steering box I need to use mounts to the outside of the frame..from a mid 70's 2 wd truck ???...i'm just curious if there is a non power steering box that will bolt up the same....i'd rather have manual steering than power.

Thanks

Leon

2. Zig

Zig Member

I assume you're putting in a V-8? If you want manual steering, there's lots of recent posts about this. You can stay with the original front end and put ram horn headers. You can even bump the box out a bit for a tad more room. I am still debating the power steering approach myself. I don't know how much I miss power steering by "arm-strong"...

3. omega7979

omega7979 Member

Yes putting in a V-8......i'v thought about the ram horn manifolds but they won't really work for the performance level of the engine I will be putting in there........i'm going to run a 283 that iv got hangin around until I get all the bugs worked out of the finished truck......but after that i'm going to run a stroker motor....350 block 400 crank = 383 c.i......should be a 450 horsepower motor. I am a speed freak......just the straight line kind........I sold my Oldsmobile Omega That had a 455 with edelbrock heads and stuff.......it ran 11.40's in the 1/4.......I got tired of the car so I sold it and decided to purchase my 51 pickup from my aunt and uncle. Not lookin to make the truck as fast as my car was but i'd like to surprise the kids in mustang's, camaro's, and those imports....... :D

4. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

450 horse will be quiet a surprise for those kids. Make sure the suspensions & brakes match that nice engine comb. Hate to see 450 horse not stopping at the end of the 1/4

5. Zig

Zig Member

...or the front end coming apart when (and if) it slams back down to earth...:eek: Gittyup Go!:cool:

6. petercarmon

petercarmon Member

hi, thank you for posting this, as i'm also in a similar situation. wanted to upgrade and install power steering in my car so i'll be watching out for tips.

7. coilover

coilover Member

There is a manual box that is a direct replacement for the power box. The same trucks that had p/s also could be had without. If your racing then unsprung weight is an important facter so using the small Saginaw 525 unit is an option as well as the now being reproduced Vega and Corvair units. Unless your moving the engine back or rear axle ahead you'll never have to be concerned with an AD pulling it's front wheels. 450 horse is about the max for a 383 if your going to ever street drive it. Around 1.25 hp/ci is the max for a dual plane intake and a cam that gives good enough vacuum to not be miserable. From 1.5 hp/ci on up they're not fun to street drive. Of course if you can lay down the bucks for a turbo set up then the skies the limit on hp along with good street manners and even better fuel economy although this almost never happens beings as it's so darn much fun to keep your foot planted in it.