64 power steering conversion

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Danny4656, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Danny4656

Danny4656 Member

I have a question,i was wondering if anyone here has converted manual steering to power steering on a 64 chevy 1/4 ton? Ive been changing mine over, and ive run into a problem. Problem is now my truck rides like a canoe. After looking things over I noticed that the tie rod is about two inches lower on the drivers side.Im thinking that the tie rod has to be level,so if i cut off about two inches on the steering column, and moved the power steering unit back two inches so the tie rod is level, then bolted down the unit ,then welded the column back together.Would that correct the problem? I ordered a power steering kit from power craft, and I got a new idlearm For power steering from (chevy duty).I put the idle arm on first (passengers side). The truck drove alot better,Then I tackled the power steering, and now im riding a canoe.:-( can any one help me?

Danny

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-03 AT 07:51 PM (CST)]Hi Danny, Welcome to the forum.

I've done the PS conversion on my C10 panel. I'm not familiar with the kit you used. BUT,, does it include the necessary adapter to mount the PS box to the frame rail ? The adapter is made by REZ Engineering and must be used to mount a later model PS box. It positions the PS box correctly so that it lines up with the steering column and mounts the box to the frame with all 4 bolts .

When you said you ordered a PS idler arm ?? As far as I know there is no such animal for a 64. All that was required for my 64 using the REZ adapter was a PS pitman arm from a 72 and of course the later model PS box.

Was your front suspension in good condition? ( ball joints, bushings, tierod ends, etc )

Describe what you mean by a canoe...

p.s. Did a Google Search for Power Craft and came up empty....

Dennis

3. Danny4656

Danny4656 Member

Thank for your reply Dennis,I made a adaptor for it so it would fit level on the frame rail, I just cut out some steel so it looked like the picture of the adaptor from Rez. every thing lines up great ,its just that the tie rod is about two inches lower then the passenger side. I stand corrected i didnt get the kit from power craft i got it from (steering parts 4u) they had it on E-Bay.The problem to me seems to be just a front end problem ,what I mean rides like a canoe, is when I go down the road the truck is hard to keep in a straght line,its touchy.I had a problem with steering like that years ago and come to find out it was my tie rod.But ,I checked the tie rod on my 64 and its ok,also every thing else is tight. im just wondering if the tie rod has to be level? I didnt receave any directions with the kit,it came as is. So goes the story of my life.

Danny

4. USMC71

USMC71 Member

Yeah. What dvalentine said and.... Personally, I would NEVER cut a
    section of my steering out and weld it back together. Unless you are
    a certified welder, you don't know if your work will hold or not.
    On something SO important, it is in your best interest to buy a new
    rod and simply cut it to fit. Safety is first above ALL else.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Danny, Nothing personal, but if I had to guess based on what you said, I would bet the problem lies with the adapter that you fabricated. Yes, the tierods and centerlinl should be somewhat level at rest, but remember that the tierod ends are designed to go up and down. If you feel completly positive that your adapter is correct, look over all the bushings in upper and lower control arms. Dry cracked bushings are usually toast and will contribute to steering problems.

Also, look over the P/S box mounts again. If you used washers as spacers you may have pulled the mounting bolts, washers and all, through the frame. A loose steering box will definatly cause steering problems, not to mention be extreemly unsafe.

But, and I can't stress this enough, I would buy the REZ adapter if I were you. It is well worth the $70 or $80. In addition to lining up your steering box perfectly, it solves a problem that these P/S trucks have of the frame cracking around the mounting bolts. They included a reinforcing backing plate to strengthen the frame.

Don't take shortcuts with safety stuff like steering and brakes. There are suppliers out there that have done the homework for you and provide a proven safe product.

Regards,

Dennis

6. lonolan

lonolan Member

I had a problem like that on a 77. Try this first!!

With someone in the car, turning the steering wheel, watch the frame and make sure it has movement whatsoever. if you see any, then look for hairline cracks. if your frame is flexing, reinforce it right away. If it turns out to be something else, let me know. But that is what it sounds like to me.