Engine Build Dates

Discussion in 'Classic Parts of America Talk' started by Big D, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Big D

Big D Member

I have a 454 that I am rebuilding and am trying to track it's history. I have found that it is a 78-90 block because of the casting number 14015445 on the drivers side ledge by the transmission mount. Also, on the passenger side opposite of the casting number there is another casting of 114. Could this be Nov of 84? The engine build date that is stamped on the front passenger ledge reads clearly "CF3335855". I am unable to trace this code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the motor came with exhaust manifolds that have the fittings attached for air injection. The tubes are broken off leading me to believe that the motor had an air pump on it. Did carbureated engines have the air pump going to the exhaust manifold? The passenger side manifold has a casting number of 10045730-2 9 28 90 and the driver side has 14103181-1 9 14 90. The heads have a casting number of 14081045 which is for a 78-87 454. Because of this and the air tubes in the exhaust I am thinking that the motor was originally fuel injected and is an 87. I realize that the block could have been cast in 84 but then the motor was built in 87. The intake has a couple of different numbers cast into it and for the most part are unreadable.

I realize that this is a lot of info but your help is greatly appreciated. I have been to the mortec web site so if anyone has any other web sites that have an extensive data base thanks for your help.

Dave

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

our 83 bbc 454 had the air things that go in to the exhaust manifolds and it is carborated . the air thing was taken off anfd the holes were pluged. i recenty put heades on it.
    cowboy