steering conversion LHD to RHD

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by twobobbwana, Aug 29, 2007.

1. twobobbwana

twobobbwana Member

I have a LHD Chevy K30 85 pickup and in order to convert it to RHD steering (required under law in Australia) I've fitted it with a 88-98 4wd power steer steering box. I've just bought a new pitman arm for this box. It has a "male" fitting on it where it bolts onto the front portion of the drag link whereas the old box had a "female" fitting on it.

The big question is can I unscrew the 85 model front section off the drag link and screw in an 88 - 98 front drag link section. I'd like to be able to do this so there is no modification/manufacture of steering parts.

Has anyone got any first hand experience with this?????

2. twobobbwana

twobobbwana Member

nope not possible

Readers,

I've just looked at an exploded view of the later model Chev truck and no what I had in mind is not possible as the steering system is completely different to the 85 model. I'll just have to chase this part elsewhere.

3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Saw this about a year ago on a 4x4 forum I frequent, might give you some ideas.
    Frame off restore of a Blazer converted to RHD

[​IMG]

rest of the thread:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185001

4. twobobbwana

twobobbwana Member

Nerfherder,

Thanks for the reply. This definitely looks like a unique way of doing this conversion. I'd say that the frame has stopped cracking at the steering box because of the 3/8" (??) plate that this thing is mounted on. Mine is on a 22mm (7/8") plate to get the output shaft of the steering box in about the same position from the chassis rail as it originally is. I'm trying to "mirror image" the steering as best as possible to maintain the original steering geometry............along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Interesting post though. He actually shows photos of his ex truck ...........and ex girlfreind .........on a beach not very far from my place.

Thanks again.