how to lower my truck

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by jaybyrd66, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jaybyrd66

jaybyrd66 Member

hey guys, got a couple questions for ya. got a 66 1/2 ton 2wd that im wanting to lower a couple inches. just gonna do a quick cheap job on it. im thinkin bout just cutting the front coils. any idea how many coils i would have to chop off for about 3 inches of drop? and for the rear i have been told that i can just use 3 inch drop blocks, will those work right in these trucks? thanks for any help

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Rear springs are better than drop blocks. Drop blocks will put the rear trailing bars / U-bolt nuts / Shock mounts below the rim, which means if you have a tire go down your suspension will be digging into the pavement. That's a really bad way to go.

And sorry, I can't help ya with how much to cut of the front springs.

3. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Don't cut anymore than 1 and 1/2 coils off the front and on the rear you can put jack stands under the rear frame leaving the desired gap between the frame and the stands then heat the lower coil next to the trailing arm and allow the truck to settle down on the stands. after it cools you can remove the stands and you're done....Big Tim :cool: 004.jpg