64 SBPU-TH350 trans back to manual

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by russtay66, Feb 27, 2003.

1. russtay66

russtay66 Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-03 AT 03:42 PM (CST)]Hello,

Hopefully, yall can help me. I recently traded for a 64 Chevy C10 Custom shortbed pickup. I was told it has the original 283 V8 (rebuilt), but has a TH350 auto. It was originally a manual (3-sp?) on the steering column, I know, as some of the clutch linkage is still there and the steering column still has the ring from the handle. They put a hole through the floor for the shifter, which is not a problem.

My question: I want to go back to a manual transmission. The TH350 got toasted this week and I was thinking about going back to a manual trans anyway (I've always driven manual). I was told by a guy at a local hot rod shop (found out they're more into F*rd) that pretty much any manual trans out of a Chevy truck up into the '80's will bolt onto the engine. But, will I have to modify anything major (driveshaft, etc.) to get it back to manual? I found on this forum that the manual transmissions originally had NO other mount besides to the engine block. I can believe that. Here's a list of parts I think I need:

• transmission with bellhousing
    • flywheel (what size?)
    • clutch (size depends on flywheel, right?)
    • pressure plate (size depends on flywheel?)
    • throw-out bearing (& applicable retainers?)
    • t/o bearing arm - clutch rod to engage/disengage clutch - aka clutch fork?
    • clutch fork pivot ball
    • clutch fork spring & keeper
    • crossmember for parking brake (under trans but not attached to trans)
    • clutch pedal and pad (only have brake and throttle pedals w/TH350 installed)

Do I need
    • a new yoke to the trans?
    • driveshaft modification?
    • any other trans mount?

What would be the easiest/simplest trans to use from a later model truck?

Lots of questions, I know, but I need to know what can be done from someone who has experience. I'm new to Chevy vehicles except what I've read in mags. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Russ Taylor
    RussTay

2. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

RE: 64 SBPU-TH350 trans to manual

Russ, it sounds like your swap shouldn't be too much of a challenge, but I've never done one before. For the transmission, an old Saginaw four speed should bolt right in with a different bellhousing. You could probably pick one up with a bellhousing, flywheel and clutch(just for the size, number, etc.) at a wrecking yard for a reasonable price. I suggest a four speed because they're a dime a dozen (and your truck probably has a low-geared rear-end). However, I don't believe that there is any way to make a four speed work with the stock column linkage your truck has. You'd have to put in a floor shifter. The Saginaw four in my truck when I first got it used the stock clutch parts and pedal. There was a crossmember behind the engine that I had to remove in order to put in my TH350, so chances are that yours has been removed. Just go look at a junkyard for all this stuff to see how it goes together, It's bound to help you more than I ever could. Some other guys in this forum will know more, a lot more, than I do, so get a second opinion. . . .
    Oh yeah, you might have to shorten your driveshaft with the new trans. When I put in my automatic, I had to have a new driveshaft built because the one with the manual was considerably shorter than the one with the TH350, and I used the rearmost engine mount holes on the chassis. Gee, I hope some of this helps!
    --TrustyRusty :eek:

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Don't forget the crossmember that two bell housing supports mount to. You are correct that the auto's used two forward motor mounts. The standard shift models used a four point mounting to support the motor and bell housing. This allows the standard transmissions to only be supported by the 4 bolts in the bell housing.

4. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

RE: 64 SBPU-TH350 trans to manual

Yeah, The bellhousing crossmemeber is the one that had to come out of my tuck for the auto tranny. Also, somebody made a crossmemebr for the saginaw's rear mount that had the parking brake and some other junk on it. I don't think think this was necessary, except maybe for the parking brake. There was no way that the crossmember they had made did any good- it was cut from a piece of 16 ga. flat steel and held to the frame with 4 screws.
    --Russell :7