Good windshield glass--bad windshield rubber

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by fasteddie1017, Jul 16, 2008.

1. fasteddie1017

fasteddie1017 Member

I am about to put my 53 3100 on the road, and am getting to the point where I need to install new weatherstrip and rubber. The problem is the windshield. The glass is perfect but the rubber is original and in sad shape. It is dry rotted and cracked. Is it possible to remove the glass without breaking it and replace the rubber? Or should I just plan on it probably breaking and order new glass too? Is there a trick to removing the glass? Thanks, Fasteddie1017

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

You should be able to remove the windshield glass without a problem and re-install the old windshield with new rubber.

I know Chiro will probably disagree with me here, but you should look into Steele Rubber to get the windshield rubber for your truck.

Lastly, if you've got a copy of shop manual, it goes into detail as to how to remove the windshield.

3. 1inxs

1inxs Member

The best way I found is take a razor knife with a new blade. Carefully cut the rubber on the inside of the windshield. Make sure it is cut all the way around. Remove the rubber you have just cut away. Then have someone on the outside catch the windshield as you press it outward. This works for me without any damage. Good Luck with the project.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I cut the rubber on the outside, then push it out carefully. If you have the stainless trim, I found that it is easier to install the trim first. Run a bead of urethane windshield cement inside the window track of the rubber. Slide the glass in, then lay a blanket on the hood. Place the whole assembly on the hood face down and run some surveyor's line in the track on the rubber all the way around, overlapping generously at the bottom. Set the bottom of the windshield rubber on the pinch mold at the bottom, thenm work the string all the way around to pull the rubber inside. I did it my self, but n extra hand is much easier. I also use a flat blade screwdriver to help the rubber along in the corners. once in, use a pick to line up the holes for the center stainless strip, install the screws and the interior trim and you are done.

Good luck.

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Does it sound all Greek to you?

There are thousands of horror stories about removing windshield pieces, but here's some solid advise. Research it! Steel Rubber has an installation primer that is excellent. "search" the previous threads on this site for tips, "Do's" and "Don'ts", look at the "stovebolt" site for tips and techniques! Read them, familiarize yourself with them, build up your confidence level and try it! The only thing you need to fear is excessive force in removing or installing. The bigger hammer theory will not work on glass. Do your homework and you'll be fine!

6. coilover

coilover Member

Cut the rubber as they say and go with Steele or Metro for your replacement rubber. On the 54, 55.1 one piece windshields there will likely be some wrinkles at the corners where the rubber doesn't lay flat but at least these american made products will still be flexible and uncracked years later. The foreign crap is good for about two years.

7. fasteddie1017

fasteddie1017 Member

Thanks for all the info, guys. I will take a deep breath and have at it this weekend. Thanks again.

8. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Treat your screen like a woman.....beat the cr......i meant, very gently, do not force it or whack it with your hand or any other impliment. Patience is the key.

9. Zig

Zig Member

brit~ all I can say is:rolleyes:

Come to America~ You know you want to.;)

10. brit 50

brit 50 Member

visa

I would do but you guys wont give me a visa, something about my missing ex wife and the foundations of a nearby motorway, red tape, its a bitch:rolleyes:

11. Flipper

Flipper Member

I'm doing my glass this weekend too. ....not 100% confident that I can get it installed without breaking something (my first attempt at glass). I guess we will find out. :)

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

So Was She I Imagine

Just funnin' ya Neil , not to worry :p

13. Fla54Chevy3100

Fla54Chevy3100 Member

Windshield install!

After a couple unsuccessful windshield installs (leaks) in my 54 I've learned a couple things:

1. Use a Steele windshield gasket.
    2. If you are replacing the glass with a new reproduction mail-order piece....be sure to hold it up and make sure you have equal distance around the edge for the gasket to seat itself. Sizes of repo glass will vary and cabs get distorted. The glass may need to be ground to get a proper fit.
    3. On a 54 you need to use sealer both inside and out and it's a 3 man job.
    4. If you have stainless trim it needs to be in the gasket BEFORE you seat the glass. It is part of the locking system and will not go into the channel properly after-the-fact.
    5. Take time to thoroughly clean the lip area of the cab...even a little bit of crud can cause you grief down the road.
    6. If you ignore, 1-5 it WILL leak!!!

Good luck,

Dave

14. Flipper

Flipper Member

These are the instructions I followed. I also used duct tape to hold the whole thing together long enough to get it installed.

The other people in line at WalMart sure look at you funny when all you have is a big tube of KY jelly and a roll of duct tape. :)

15. Zig

Zig Member

I won't bother with an explanation then~ I just look at them and smile a slight -long- smile...;)

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The -Proper- Response

To anyone who looked at you funny should have been : " are you married ? " :D

17. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Buying KY and Tape

Nah, whatcha gotta do is stand at the cashiers mumbling to yourself and make sure every now and then you say one word out loud and twitch your head at the same time, never make eye contact either, i guarantee NO ONE will question your purchases;)

P.s. If you want to go all out, buy a shovel at the same time!

18. Wolf

Wolf Member

we used to play pranks like that to our friends in high school. We would kidnap something that they needed, like car keys or books. Then we would send a ransom note saying that we needed duct tape, ky jelly, condoms and a big whiffle ball bat. You should have seen some of the looks on peoples faces.... it was priceless

19. Zig

Zig Member

Keep in mind that Brian (Wolf) lives in Overland Park, and I grew up in Prairie Village~ just North of there...:D It's comforting to know that around the world there is a similar sense of humor! Brit~ You'd love it here, I promise!:D

BTW~ Brian, I don't know if you did or not, but check your PMs- because I sent you one on your brake question.;)