s-10 frame swap/v8 swap

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by josh_brown162, Jan 30, 2006.

1. josh_brown162

josh_brown162 Member

I am thinking of doing a s-10 frame swap using the ad-engineering kit. I was wondering if a 350 motor and a 350 turbo or 400 automatic would clear the cab without the need of a floor kit through chevyduty? I would apreciate anyones help thanks, Josh

2. josh_brown162

josh_brown162 Member

>I am thinking of doing a s-10 frame swap using the
    >ad-engineering kit. I was wondering if a 350 motor and a 350
    >turbo or 400 automatic would clear the cab without the need
    >of a floor kit through chevyduty? I would apreciate anyones
    >help thanks, Josh its a 1951 chevy pickup

3. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

I haven't seen the specs on the AD Eng. kit. Honestly, I wasn't greatly impressed with what I saw for the price. I hope there's more to it than they showed last time I checked it out...

The determining factor is (of course) the length or height of the cab mounts. If memory serves me correctly, to get stock height, the cab mounts will need to be about 6". This is because the s-10 has a dip in it, where the original frame is a straight line. A 350/350 *should* clear it at that height, but I think its a bit close at the toeboard/floorboard seam. If you plan to use a floor shifter, I think that may be a tight fit unless you use something like the nostalgia shifter from Ididit.

This is primarily speculation, because I opted to drop the body a couple of inches for a lower center of gravity. I had to cut into the toeboard about 2-2.5 inches (toward the dash). The stock width for the transmission pan was maintained, so I just have to build a new transmission pan to fit the opening. When I parted the S-10, I cut the tunnel and kept it just in case part of it could be used.

Another note on these swaps, I haven't found the specs, but the s-10 bodies are incredibly heavier than the AD (I'd guess close to 200 pounds). The frame sat lower to the ground with the s-10 and 2.8l than with the ad body with a 5L olds and 350 tranny (same springs)...

4. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

I forgot to add that another factor is your engine and transmission mounts. Depending on the setup of the donor, you may have to move the transmission crossmember rearward. You can also mount your engine and transmission lower to give you more clearance at the front of the cab.