Windshield installation

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by E Smith, Sep 19, 2008.

1. E Smith

E Smith Member

i have to put the windshield back in my 65 GMC. it has the chrome trim and i have never put in a windshield that has the chrome piece. Has anyone done that with the trim. Do i put the rubber on the glass, put in the chrome piece, and then install it? is there any place that has illustrated instructions on this.
    i am going to buy a new rear glass seal too, do you put the lock bead in before or after putting it in the truck?

thanks
    E Smith

2. 283 man

283 man Member

I found out the hard way its easier to take it to the glass shop and have them put it in.The last one we put in took 4 of us to do it and it was a pain in the a$$ took us about 4 hours too.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

****** ditto ! ******

4. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

a very good friend of mine owns his own glass install company and wont touch the older rigs with the deluxe trim, says its way to big of a pain in the ass. do as the above guys have mentioned and take it to a glass shop that has a few guys in there that can work together.

5. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Windshield Install

I took my 57 chevy Belair to a local glass shop here in Tucson for a windshield installation. I asked if they worked on these vehicles before and of course they said yes. They started off with pry bars on the lower chrome trim which imediately got me out of my chair to explain the correct procedure in removing trim. I think I was more nervous than when my wife delivered our first son. You might know the correct procedure and then watch their progress..
    Bob

6. drabo

drabo Member

Call around the local glass shops before you order any glass. I got my new windshield installed cheaper than if I ordered one myself.

Like everybody else has said have it done!!!!! I tryed installing the back glass myself only to have destroyed the new seal and totally pissed myself off. Ended up having it installed after buying a new seal.